(when Buying), How Many Miles Should A Used Bike Have?

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Dispatch, Nov 11, 2021.

1. Dispatch

Dispatch New Member

Dec 14, 2020
    #1 Dispatch, Nov 11, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2021
    I read when buying a pre-owned bike, a used bike should have 'typically' 6,000 miles for each year since it's manufacture date.

Not sure how they come up with this specific number, nevertheless, what are some thoughts on the matter? [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Who cares , it should be roadworthy and in an acceptable condition for it's age , and a good maintenance services record would be better than no records to prove it has been looked after.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Dispatch

Dispatch New Member

Dec 14, 2020
    Seriously?!
    The insurance company for one, high miles devalues the bike big time but most importantly the concern should lay with the new owner, a bike that has had the shit run out of it most likely will need serious engine overhaul and and has guaranteed major wear and tear regardless if its oil changes may or may not have been done religiously and most sellers don't keep log books for the bike let alone ones that track its entire maintenance lifetime.
    So what do you have, only the owners word??
    Moreover, the trade-in value will be little to nothing having high miles on the odometer...

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    #4 capt, Nov 11, 2021
    I sold a 1994 Trident in 2000/2001 , it had 100,000+ miles on it ! I did oil changes every 4 to 5 thousand km. I rode it in a mixed style , sometimes did Mono's (front wheel off the bitumen) I saw the bike again in 2014 it had done a further 70 or 80 thousand miles !! Engine still sweet as a nut ! Reason it was still in good condition , Oil changes every 4 to 5 thousand and regularly in to the dealer's for regular valve checking and more serious maintenance.
    So mileage really isn't an issue Maintenance and repairs regularly scheduled IS !?

Only modern day purchasers worry about Value ,. Value is relative , I prefer to Ride my bike's and keep them for 6 to 10 yrs. So I never get back big money when I sell !! But I got my money worth and who ever buy's my bike's gets theirs ...! As they are responsibly ride (for most part) and reasonably maintained.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 5
  5. Dispatch

Dispatch New Member

Dec 14, 2020
    #5 Dispatch, Nov 11, 2021
    What you are buying is an expensive investment, you have to protect that investment, otherwise there would be no use for 'blue book values'/nada.

Most times when I've went to inspect a potential buy, it NEVER lives up to what was advertised and every single one has had something wrong with it that needed fixed.

Not to mention sellers today do a lot of shady shit with titles (rebuilds), some bikes can even be stolen.

People usually don't sell good reliable things, most of the time you are buying someone else's headache they want to dump on some unsuspecting victim.

Stripped bolts are a chronic problem with bikes, the previous owner tried working on it but didn't know what the hell they were doing.

In a world where we could all REALLY trust one another that would be beautiful but that's not how the real world works.

People lie and neglect what they own, I think some even get a sick kick out of telling people they did something when they know they did nothing at all.

The old saying about boats applies to anything you buy used:

Money pits, "A hole in the ocean you never fill"... (financially).

People in Florida are good for this, from motorcycles to boats to cars to houses, people buy something, run the shit out of it, invest 0 dollars into it no matter how many years they owned it, then they try to sell that same neglected object for premium price and have the audacity to come down little to nothing on the asking price even when shown in writing its actual book value, which is usually thousands less.

This is the reason you are told to bring a mechanic with you to an inspection otherwise you are taking a HUGE risk!

I might have to look at 10 bikes before I find one that works for me used.

After a whole week looking and seeing bikes, I’m burnt out by people and their bullshit ads...

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Buying a bike isn't an investment.
    Not a financial one . It's an investment in Fun , working on the bike is part of that .
    As long as it's fit for purpose , or roadworthy it's a good un !
    I've individualized every bike I bought. And not usually using aftermarket manufactured parts , often been do it yourself . After market suspension or exhaust being the exceptions, as I can't build those !!!

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Just buy new then, problem solved.

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Like Like x 3
  8. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    I doubt that most bikes get anywhere near 6000 miles a year put on them.
    There are plenty of low mileage examples out there.
    My previous Bonneville 865 was four years old when I bought it with just 1800 on the clock.

The Rninet was 10 months old with 625 miles on it. :)

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
  9. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    I thought the average was 3k per year?

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    That sounds more realistic.
    Haven't MCN started a campaign to get motorcyclists to do 5000 miles a year?

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    I'm assuming the OP is based in the US so likely slightly higher mileage than the UK is to be expected but these bikes are definitely out there to find :)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  12. johne

johne Standing on the shoulders of dwarves.

Jan 16, 2020
    Where the Wolds meet the sea
    The highest mileage bike in my garage is my Honda VFR with 29k on the clock. But its 23 years old now, so I guess its low mileage really. Condition is what I look for on a second hand bike, its obvious really. An unkempt and sorry looking low mileage example of any bike (or car for that matter) would indicate it has perhaps been used and abused, whereas a higher mileage, but very tidy and clean machine would suggest the opposite. Its not always true of course, but its a yardstick that has served me well over the years. Bike engines are also more highly stressed than car motors so even though many bikes can cover 6 figure mileages I'd be far more wary of buying a bike that had covered 100,000 miles than a car. A comprehensive service history is a must for me when buying any vehicles.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. PatW

PatW Senior Member

Apr 4, 2021
    Cymru
    It's a sign of the car market attitude that crept in to the motorcycle world in the late 80's and early 90's glitzy showrooms, salesmen who hardly if ever ride bikes, overpriced "genuine accessories".
    I can understand lads on a smaller bike thining about the trade in value when they move up to a larger bike or wanting a newer model but I never bought a motorcycle with a single thought of the future sales value, really negative imop. I've bought plenty of used bikes with very high mileage but also with a biblical wad of service history receipts etc.
    I've owned over 60 bikes in my 50 years of riding, only 5 or 6 brand new.
    The last 20 years my passion has been Italian bikes of the 70's and 80's, bought on general condition and service history and never at all concerned about the mileage and treated them as I have every motorcycle, changed the oil regularly and used good quality oil, servicing myself as required, and riding all over Europe, all year round on 40 and 50 year old machines that have been around the clock, sometimes twice.
    Sod the "residual value" just buy what you love, look after it and it will look after you.

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Yep agreed on that. But if you are buying used then yes be careful and if you are concerned about a private buyer, go to a reputable dealer. They will likely offer a warranty to give you piece of mind :):)

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. Tallpaul

Tallpaul Noble Member

Apr 7, 2019
    Kidderminster
    I'm not cutting down my mileage to comply with that! :laughing:

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. Dispatch

Dispatch New Member

Dec 14, 2020
    Like hell it's not.
    Tell that to the bank when you go try to get financing for it...
    Also tell that to your insurance company especially when and if... you ever have to file a claim if its stolen or totaled.
    What you claim is simply your own individual opinion that most do not share, its not factual...

• Useful Useful x 1
  17. Dispatch

Dispatch New Member

Dec 14, 2020
    #17 Dispatch, Nov 11, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2021
    Yes, absolutely but the subject was meant for those who look to buy used with a common consideration of worn out bike with big miles, no one wants a bike with high miles for fear of break downs and endless maintenance costs that come with it..

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. PatW

PatW Senior Member

Apr 4, 2021
    Cymru
    Nonsense, I've bought a 350 Morini with 145k on and BMW's with over 100k miles, with fat history files and in good nick they're worth more than when they were first sold..

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Dispatch

Dispatch New Member

Dec 14, 2020
    Florida... [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. TonyG

TonyG Noble Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Bucks
    Unfortunately, bikes are expected to have ridiculously low mileages on resale. They should be expected to do normal acceptable mileages, but in the UK anyway mileages above 20,000 seem to considered high. Good maintenance should mean "high" mileages are not a problem, but when you come to sell it will be harder the higher the mileage. It's sort of our own fault really.

• Agree Agree x 3