Wheel polishing tips

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by bricairns, May 7, 2015.

1. bricairns

bricairns New Member

Oct 26, 2014
    Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria
    Hi all
    I bought a 2010 Thunderbird 1600 two weeks ago and loving every minute I'm on it, I have noticed that there is a couple of blemishes on both wheels.
    What is the best product or way to remove them and bring the wheels back to showroom condition?

2. bonniebuddy

bonniebuddy New Member

Sep 16, 2014
    Hi there!
    Providing the blemishes aren't deep scratches, you could use Autosol, Brasso or Peek.
    I really like Peek, available from Tesco, as it's non-abrasive, and it brings the wheels up nicely.

3. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Hi - do the wheels have a chrome finish? If so, one trick that really works (on all chrome) is to rub the area with a small square of ordinary kitchen foil dipped in water. Rub it gently with a little pressure until a sort of black paste builds up and then wipe clean. Try it! This was my old tail rack - before IMG_20140811_062400.jpg IMG_20140810_190848993_HDR.jpg and after.

• Like Like x 5
  4. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    I am very impressed [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  5. bricairns

bricairns New Member

Oct 26, 2014
    Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria
    That's a good tip, I'll remember that one :)
    They're not chrome finished though, polished aluminium..
    I mentioned it to a mate who's a paint sprayer a couple of hours ago and he said get a small piece of cardboard and peel off a layer to expose the corrugated cardboard and use a little autosol to rub the affected area, he said you use less autosol and the cardboard together acts like an additional fine abrasive.
    Might give it a go on some other piece of ally I can find lying around before trying it on the bike..

• Like Like x 2
  6. nigel Bessant

nigel Bessant Member

Sep 26, 2014
    Brilliant! I like that, now all I've got to do is remember it!

7. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Solvol and fine wire wool pads work on my wheels.:):cool: