What Port Is This?

Discussion in 'Thunderbird' started by Walter Drane, Mar 1, 2024.

1. Walter Drane

Walter Drane New Member

Feb 21, 2024
    Dripping Springs, TX
    I posted this in the General Discussion forum but it's probably best here.... I think the port without a tube on it shown on this picture of the throttle body should be for one of the two MAP sensors. Does anyone know for sure? Thanks

IMG_20240127_180507040.jpg

2. TRIPLE X

TRIPLE X Senior Member

Sep 1, 2021
    Downham Market, Norfolk
    Check the MAP sensors (should be fitted to the airbox) which should each have a pipe attached to the underside then trace the pipes back to the throttle bodies to see if both are attached.

3. Walter Drane

Walter Drane New Member

Feb 21, 2024
    Dripping Springs, TX
    I'd like to but the pipes are gone. A 'mechanic' tossed them.

4. TRIPLE X

TRIPLE X Senior Member

Sep 1, 2021
    Downham Market, Norfolk
    If the MAP sensors have only an electrical connection but no pipe then the bike will be difficult to start and will not idle properly. The pipes need replacing and connecting to the throttle body ports. Why were they binned?

5. Walter Drane

Walter Drane New Member

Feb 21, 2024
    Dripping Springs, TX
    The previous owner was having the fuel tank cleaned and the guy working on it was not making progress so the PO collected the bike. The guy lost some parts. I think I'll just run some thick wall rubber tubing from each MAP sensor to these ports and hope for the best!

6. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    So has the bike been running with an air leak or is it yet to start?
    Running with an open port on the throttle body wouldn't run well especially on idle.

7. Walter Drane

Walter Drane New Member

Feb 21, 2024
    Dripping Springs, TX
    I bought it in non-running condition with items relating to the fuel tank, throttle cables, air box, and a few other items taken apart or 'messed with'.

• Like Like x 1