What Model To Purchase ?

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Nathanski1, Sep 15, 2023.

1. Nathanski1

Nathanski1 New Member

Sep 15, 2023
    Cornwall
    Hi All,

I’m looking to
    Purchase either a scrambler or t100.
    I’m steering towards the scrambler 900 currently.
    Is there any particular years of manufacture the are renown for reliability issues ? What are the major things to look out for and avoid when purchasing ?
    On the back of that - is there a year of manufacturer that has been proven more reliable?
    I’m relocating for 6-12 months at the end of the year so I want something fun and comfortable that can handle a 2-3 hour ride every other weekend plus daily commuting if I choose to.
    Any help on the above is much appreciated
    My budget is 5-8k realistically however I can stretch if needed.

Thanks in advance

Nathan

2. nickjaxe

nickjaxe Active Member

Sep 2, 2020
    Cheshire UK
    I own a t100 would not consider it a commuter bike due all its chrome.

Thats why I bought it.....looks great.....it dont go out in the rain.

I think a shinny bike would soon look bad if used for commuting.

3. Cornelii

Cornelii Active Member

Aug 8, 2019
    UK, Notts/S.Yorks
    I've a standard Bonneville (not T100 or SE) as I preferred less chrome for exactly that reason

4. Samsgrandad

Samsgrandad Senior Member

Dec 15, 2019
    Somerset
    Test ride them both before deciding. Some find that the exhausts on the scrambler get rather hot on your right leg which may become troublesome on a 3 hour ride. Yes the T100 has plenty of chrome but that would not be a particular problem for the occasional dry weather commute. If you want to, look at the T120 black - you should be able to find one within your budget.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Jimbo1950

Jimbo1950 Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2022
    Scotland
    I've never tried a T100, either the new watercooled 900 or the older aircooled 865, so I can't comment on those. However I do have a 2019 Street Scrambler which I have found to be very comfortable and versatile. I've done a short tour on it, I've done club rideouts on it, and pottered around the local roads here in the Scottish Borders on it. Go for the 2019 onwards, it's got a bit more power (64bhp v 54bhp) and a better front brake than the earlier ones. It's a pity you live in Cornwall (though it's a lovely place to live) as I've got a Scrambler to sell right now - but I live in Scotland!