Upgrade from BMW F800R: Speed or Street ?

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Euchrow, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Euchrow

Euchrow New Member

Feb 22, 2014
    #1 Euchrow, Feb 22, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
    Hi there,

Been riding on a BMW F800R since 3 years. It's my first bike and I've done 25K on it. Since the bike is written off, and needs to have both tyres and the chain replaced, I'm thinking of buying a new one. I ride the whole year, in town and on the highway. I rarely travel with the bike, but I like the occasional track day.

I like naked bikes and I like Triumph so I'm hesitating between the Street R and the Speed. Did a testdrive of both bikes today. The Speed is quite intimidating at first, but after half an hour I started to feel comfortable with it. The massive torque is really pleasant, but the consequence is that I hardly got past the third gear. I was riding around 170kph by then :) The bike feels really fast, but the power seems quite manageable. Of course I was careful with the throttle. So for me it was a bike that feels a bit overpowered at the moment, but that I will get used to given some time. Suspension was rather stiff. Since it accelerates so fast while you don't need to shift gears that often, I'm sure I'll ride it a lot quicker than the Street which might turn out to be expensive.

On the Street R on the other hand felt, I felt immediately at home. It feels like a better and more powerful version than the F800R. I had fun from the moment I got on the bike. It feels really agile, and I could easily throw it around corners at will. Acceleration is ok, a bit better than the Beemer but of course not in the same league as the Speed.

So for me it's hard to choose. I know I will really have a lot of fun on the Street, but it rides and feels like a better version of my bike. I'm just wondering if the riding will feel too familiar ? The Speed on the other hand is still a bit above my level, but not way beyond my level like a Tuono or Brutale. But I wonder if all that power is really useful (apart from the massive torque) and worth the extra 3000 euros compared to the Street.

Ideas welcome !

2. m4ppy

m4ppy Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2013
    Hi, both bikes are a great choice. I rode a tuono before dropping to a street R for commuting and it was a fantastic bike and loads of suspension adjustments but after a very short time I missed the power and weight you get with the larger bike and I traded the street for a speed. Not as quick as my tuono but a lot more usable and miles better on the fuel.

It just comes down to personal choice, you can be a loon on any bike so don't think that the street is a safe bet. Both bikes bring out the best and worst in your riding so go for what feels right and not what feels familiar. A bike should bring a smile if not use a car

Thanks
    Chris

3. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    Hi Euchrow welcome to the forum.
    Having owned a Speed Triple for the last 18 months and riding my wife's Street Triple from time to time I can tell you they are both fantastic bikes. I went for the Speed Triple mainly because I am quite a tall guy and found the Street a little more cramped. Out of the two bikes, if I had to say which I enjoyed riding the most it would probably be the Street Triple.

The Street is not intimidating for new riders (my wife had it as a first bike after her test) but with such a fantastic large rev range and howling top end it can be a hoot to ride. In town low revs..... so easy. If I jump back onto the Speed straight after riding the Street I am forever bumping into the rev limiter as the 1050 engine red lines much sooner. I think the Street handles better as it's lighter and more flickable, it will wheelie off the throttle in first if you like that sort of thing. The gearbox is also more slick on the Street than the Speed.

On the Speed I did love the smooth engine, the low down pull and yes I loved the way it wanted to wave it's front wheel in the air in first and second. I personally never found it intimidating but I had moved from a 150BHP V twin Ducati! Handling is still great on the Speed but I did find the suspension a bit jarring on rough roads but other than that it is quite difficult to fault. Both bike use about the same amount of fuel; about 150 mile range, neither carry pillions very well, lights are the same but I would say a good rider on a twisty road will go quicker on the Street, straight open road and horsepower will always win.

Good luck on whatever you decide, either bikes will be much more fun than the BMW.

Cheers

Richard H

• Like Like x 1