Tyre Changers - Eg Sealey Tc965. Anyone Used One?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by T20racerman, Jul 11, 2017.

1. T20racerman

T20racerman New Member

May 31, 2017
    East Herts
    Hi all
    Has anyone got a tyre changer, or used one? I'd be interested in your experiences. I particularly fancy this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sealey-TC965-Motorcycle-Mini-Changer/dp/B001SFMLSK/

Before you tell me just to use a dealer for tyre changing, some background. I've done all of my own spanner work, including tyre changing, for over 35 years. I have 7 bikes, including race bikes and off-road, so change a fair few tyres. Unfortunately arthritis in my hands means I'm struggling now to change them like I used to and it's getting very frustrating (and painful!).

Any info about any type of tyre changer welcome.
    Thanks
    Adrian

2. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    What about balancing?

3. T20racerman

T20racerman New Member

May 31, 2017
    East Herts
    Static balancing is very easy. You can do an excellent job quite easily with your wheel held up by the spindle and then let gravity do its stuff.

It doesn't have to be done with an expensive machine.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Tomo

Tomo Active Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Birmingham
    I've got one of these - works perfectly well when changing the tubed tyres on my dual sport, but I haven't tried it on the big bikes.
    I can't remember how much I paid for it, but I think it was around the forty quid mark

20052.jpg

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    I see I've never done it myself as find the price of loose tyres to that of supplied at fitted is close enough not to bother.
    The machine in your link looks good and very handy to have if you've several bikes with good revues on its page.

I might give it a go myself:) maybe I'll manage to get the weights off and leave the paint on unlike the local tyre firm:mad:

• Like Like x 1
  6. T20racerman

T20racerman New Member

May 31, 2017
    East Herts
    #5 T20racerman, Jul 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2017

Thanks for the reply. That looks worth considering. What's it like for actually getting tyres on and off the rim? Thats where I'm having the problems due to my knackered hands.

7. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    Looks a good price too £203 from Sealey's own website!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Tomo

Tomo Active Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Birmingham
    Can't comment on how easy it is on 'proper' bike tyres - I use regular tyre levers and a bead buddy for swapping out knobblies on spoked rims for a CRF 250 and it's pretty easy, but then I haven't got any issues with my hands. I guess you could get or make a really long tyre iron and walk it around the centre spigot using your body for leverage. Not knowing how much dexterity you've got or how much discomfort you suffer it may be ambitious to try and work road tyres onto cast rims (if that's your plan) as even dual sport tyres that aren't as stiff need a bit of 'persuasion' to get on. I'd check out Youtube - there are dozens of videos that might give you an idea of the level of effort needed for any given method.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Tomo

Tomo Active Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Birmingham
    Can't comment on how easy it is on 'proper' bike tyres - I use regular tyre levers and a bead buddy for swapping out knobblies on spoked rims for a CRF 250 and it's pretty easy, but then I haven't got any issues with my hands. I guess you could get or make a really long tyre iron and walk it around the centre spigot using your body for leverage. Not knowing how much dexterity you've got or how much discomfort you suffer it may be ambitious to try and work road tyres onto cast rims (if that's your plan) as even dual sport tyres that aren't as stiff need a bit of 'persuasion' to get on. I'd check out Youtube - there are dozens of videos that might give you an idea of the level of effort needed for any given method.

• Like Like x 1