Tweak a Thruxton or DIY Bonnie?

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Hughieboy, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Hughieboy

Hughieboy New Member

Oct 19, 2014
    Hello All,

I'm new on here and shortly about to buy my first Triumph (once I've sold my Sportster 48).

I want to customise whatever I buy in cafe racer style and am just feeling my way around with the available models. What I'm wondering is whether to look for a Thruxton which is half way there I suppose and change some parts or go for a Bonneville and have more of a blank canvas.

I'm leaning towards the Bonnie route I think but as I'm not familiar with either I'm wondering whether ther are fundamental differences that I should know about on certain models that may lend themselves more to what I'm looking at doing if that makes sense.

Are they basically the same bike but one has a seat cowling and drop handlebars? Or is there more to it than that? Where is the best place to look for aftermarket parts for this kind of project?

I'm at the research stage at present trying to get a feel for the different models available and any pointers would be appreciated,

Thanks,

Hugh.

2. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Hi Hugh yes at one point I had a (sh)nightster as well and got stung with it being overpriced and bad dealer info but that was a few years ago now. These bonneville/ thruxton/scrambler models have an awfull lot of swappable stuff for them and every thing can be bought just like the Harley scene. The thruxton was a touch tall for me so I bought a cast wheel bonneville to modify. I've seen so many variations it makes me want to own a few to carry out different styles. Unlike "I want to be seen, just look at me" look with the Harley's these triumphs are daily riders and very good ones too.

3. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Hi Hugh,
    Yeah parts are quite swappable between the 3 models - Thruxton is designed more along the cafe racer style to start with than the Bonnie so you would be part way there.
    Look at sites like british-customs.com and britishracer.com for ideas and other sites such as dunstallmotorcycles.com and squaredeals-ltd.co.uk for parts (and of course ebay).
    Cheers Steve

4. Hughieboy

Hughieboy New Member

Oct 19, 2014
    Thanks Chaps.... Having looked further since posting, whichever I end up with I. Going to look for something that's already had the exhaust changed to something I might want..... They're not cheap, are they! Plus one about the 'look at me' effect the Hrley has (I'm on my fourth now), I've just suddenly fallen out of love with them over night... They look and sound great but are not the most practical for blasting around on. The 48 has loads of grunt but it's a show pony really..... Looking forward to getting some riding in!

Appreciate the heads up on the websites, I shall have a good look! :upyeah:

5. PeteH

PeteH Active Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Chester
    #5 PeteH, Oct 20, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  6. Hughieboy

Hughieboy New Member

Oct 19, 2014
    Thanks Pete :biggrin:

7. Dodge74

Dodge74 Active Member

Oct 16, 2014
    Lincoln
    this is currently on ebay which might be something like what you're talking about

I like the Thruxton , but it is quite pricey at the moment on the 2nd hand market and there's not many about
    $_57.jpg

$_57.jpg