Triumph Trophy 1973

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by neil briscoe, Jun 24, 2017.

1. neil briscoe

neil briscoe Member

Apr 23, 2017
    S wales
    hi all some technical knowledge required please. Would anyone happen to know why my 73 trophy can run lovely for 20 odd miles then for no apparent reason deceide to drop down on to one cylinder then after. Half a mile or so deceide to go back to two cylinders again and ride nice again it has electronic egnition and champion n3c plugs It's the right hand side that doesn't fire if I remove the plug when she is playing up nothing happens Generally she starts easily first kick All thoughts greatfully received. Thanks all newbee from South Wales

2. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    Coil maybe breaking down then cooling and cutting back in ....?

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Hi Neil
    Try switching parts from left hand cylinder to right hand cylinder and see if you can move the problem between cylinders
    Plugs/coils HT leads....that sort of thing and if the problem moves which ever part you've just swapped should tell you where the problem is :p

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Totally agree with dilligaf.
    One change at a time and process of elimination.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

:(
    Hi callumity
    Just wondering why you gave me a disagree rating?
    When I was a young man in the Air Force I used to service triumph and norton twins for the RAF police :)
    Used this method of eliminating faults many a time,often at the road side with minimum tools and spares

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Didn't know you'd been in the RAF dilligaf.
    Interesting!

7. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Ten years mate :cool:
    Corporal Mechanical transport technician

• Like Like x 1
  8. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Good on yer mate!
    There was a thread started on the forum several months ago for ex and serving personnel.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Hi Neil
    Any luck with your bike mate?

10. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Agree with Dilligaf :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. neil briscoe

neil briscoe Member

Apr 23, 2017
    S wales
    Yes it was a Dodgie plug after all the faffing around bought a new coil. Ht lead plug cap changed it over still the same one plug soaking wet changed for new plug and bobs your father. Job done. She sings along now even got to seventy Then rear brake light blew then indicators refused to work. When I put indicator switch up engine died back in my garage now parked next to my MT09 perhaps I'm being a little harsh but no wonder the japs plaid a big part of my youth pretty much every time I take the trophy for a run something goes wrong sad but true

• Like Like x 1
  12. neil briscoe

neil briscoe Member

Apr 23, 2017
    S wales
    Yes it was a Dodgie plug after all the faffing around bought a new coil. Ht lead plug cap changed it over still the same one plug soaking wet changed for new plug and bobs your father. Job done. She sings along now even got to seventy Then rear brake light blew then indicators refused to work. When I put indicator switch up engine died back in my garage now parked next to my MT09 perhaps I'm being a little harsh but no wonder the japs plaid a big part of my youth pretty much every time I take the trophy for a run something goes wrong sad but true

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    I reckon you owe dilligaf a pint!
    Work your way through the electrics now, same process.
    I agree with you with the Jap bikes, my experience as well.

14. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Good job mate :) faffing about with old bikes is all part of the attraction of ownership and I for one would love to be in a position to have one like yourself, enjoy the challenge mate.....reliability can be boring :p

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    A labour of love, unless as I say it is your only means of transport and then you can soon fall out of love.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Just noticed this! I plead guilty to fat fingers and inattention on my ipad.
    Your advice is EXACTLY what I would suggest.
    I will scroll more carefully in future!!
    :mad:

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    Oh yes old motorcycle ownership no brakes, no suspension at illegal speeds is all part of the fun and if the Jap bikes didn't come along and wake up (kill off initially) the Brit bike industry we wouldn't have our modern reliable Triumphs:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    I've done it too the buttons are right next to each other and a pain to use on a mobile phone etc:mad:

19. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Thought I was getting doddery!

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. neil briscoe

neil briscoe Member

Apr 23, 2017
    S wales
    Thanks guys for all the support you are all right it does make me smile and it is a lovely looking bike even more so now iv put higher bars on her. Thanks again I'll perciveer with the electrics

• Like Like x 2