Trident 900 - Help Needed, Please!

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Adie P, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    I need a little help, please with an early Hinckley issue.

I need a pair of the 'wavey' Union flag (I know the rules about 'jack' and 'flag'! ;)) decals that were fitted to the rear of the side panels on early Hinckley Trident 750/900s - like the one that can be seen just below the pillion grab rail in this image here :-
    [​IMG]
    I also know that TOTAL Triumph have them (I believe they are original NOS items) and sell them via ebay :-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-...138698?hash=item27cabd760a:g:yfsAAMXQnXFRZQZl

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-...128849&hash=item564c2dd1f3:g:8Z8AAOxy43FRZaz4

Much as I like the idea of having genuine Triumph parts, I dislike the idea of paying £12 each for an item that SHOULD cost no more than a fiver! Yeah, I know - tightwad. But, let's face it, Triumph didn't actually MAKE these in the first place - just commissioned and purchased them in huge, production line quantities!

Following a link/recommendation on this forum, I contacted the-image-works to enquire whether they had ever reproduced them, or could do so, and they have very helpfully responded to say that they CAN reproduce them if they can get an original item or some accurate dimensions. Their prices are, as you might imagine, much more realistic and attractive! :)

If anyone out there happens to have a secret stash of at least one pair of the originals or, more realistically,
    ( @stevethegoolie perhaps? ) has an original bike with these decals on can you help, please, with :-

1) confirmation that these are "gel type domed" decals?

2) provide digital images of each side decal

3) provide dimensions of the decal

If anyone can do that, perhaps you would pm me and I'll provide a personal email address for the images and dimensions? My intention is to get at least 3 sets made up - one to install, two as spares - though if there are others eager or willing to pitch in I'd be happy to purchase and distribute at cost!

Any help that can be provided will be VERY much appreciated.

Thanks. Stay safe, guys 'n' gals.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    #2 stevethegoolie, Apr 29, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
    Hi, Adie.
    Here's a picture of the offending article. I'll try to remember to measure it for you tomorrow. They have a rounded edge to them and may well be made of some sort of gel.:confused:

DSCF1781.JPG

Incidentally, I'll not tell you what I think of Triumph Taunton. I was wanting a new (embossed) seat for my Trident when Triumph were selling them off for £30. My local dealer Tried every which way to get one but they were out of stock in very short time. Suddenly Triumph Taunton were selling them for £160. Draw your own conclusions!! Perhaps 2+2=5 after all. Or not! Hmmmmmm...... :mad:

• Like Like x 3
  3. stevethegoolie

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Hope these piccies are useful. Took some doing on my own in a dark corner of the garage, holding the tape measure whist squatting down with camera in hand.

DSCF2485.JPG

DSCF2486.JPG

DSCF2488.JPG

DSCF2489.JPG

DSCF2490.JPG

DSCF2491.JPG

DSCF2492.JPG

DSCF2493.JPG

DSCF2494.JPG

DSCF2495.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  4. stevethegoolie

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    And a couple more .....

DSCF2496.JPG

DSCF2497.JPG

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    @stevethegoolie that's FANTASTIC!! Many, many thanks for going the extra mile, as the saying goes.

I'll get those images off to the printers and see what they have to say.

You're a lifesaver - I owe you (another ?) beer!

• Like Like x 2
  6. stevethegoolie

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    You are very welcome, Adie.:)