Tor Hi Level Snapped Screw

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Stationary Traveller, Jun 17, 2024.

1. Stationary Traveller

Subscriber

Hi all, as above. I was trying to remove the two button head bolts which hold the bracket on to the can and the head snapped clean off of one of the bolts with hardly any force leading me to believe it may have been glued in place previously. The idea behind removing the bracket was to clean it up as there are rust marks on the carbon coming from underneath said bracket.
    Has anyone here had the same experience and drilled out the remains of one of the bolts ? Any tips gratefully received as I really don’t want to mess this up as these cans are like hens teeth
    Cheers

IMG_9897.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mini

Mini Member

Jun 28, 2022
    Australia
    Hi mate, if it was mine I would be tempted to remove the other two bolts, remove the muffler bracket and get plenty of WD40 or similar on the broken stud and let it soak in for a few days, you may have enough stud sticking out to get some grips on !!!!. If all else fails start drilling out till you can get an 'easy out' stud extractor on the job. Good luck and let us know how you go. Mini

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    Start with some left handed drill bits, going up in size until you can get a decent extractor in. You may find the remainder of the bolt unscrews itself while you're drilling it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Stationary Traveller

Subscriber

Thanks Mini and Pegscraper, all sorted now. I work next to an engineering company so asked if they could help, they said no problem. They got the old screws out which were pretty tight, re tapped the holes and even sandblasted and repainted the bracket, all for nowt, wouldn’t take anything. Well chuffed !

IMG_9946.jpeg

• Like Like x 7
  5. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Left handed drill bits :joy::joy::joy: I've had many an apprentice and people in our garage with those in a battery drill :cool:

Obviously you, I, drill the first hole in reverse.
    A simple click of the battery drill and then ask them to complete the rest of the holes, ok?

:joy:

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Nice, good friendly gesture to keep the neighbours onside ;)

7. Mini

Mini Member

Jun 28, 2022
    Australia
    Well done traveler, nice end to a problem that could all turn to poo if you weren't to sure about what to do. Take those guys a few beers, you might need their help again !!!!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Stationary Traveller

Subscriber

Yes I was well happy with the end result. We help them out from time to time, we do electrical work and have a good selection of cables and wire, stainless nuts, washers and screws/bolts so it’s a mutual thing.