Tightening chain on Daytona 955i

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Clueless, Aug 8, 2016.

1. Clueless

Clueless New Member

Jun 13, 2015
    Garelochhead
    Hi I'm trying to tighten the chain on my 03 plate 955i (single sided swing arm) I've removed the pinch bolt but the C spanner won't move in either direction. Am I missing something? Any help will see gratefully accepted. Thanks guys

2. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    It is not unknown for the adjuster thingy to seize into the s/arm. This is due to lack of lubrication in that area. I would just carefully apply a suitable hammer to the c spanner to try to break the grip, after firstly applying a goodly quantity of WD40 or similar and letting it soak in for as long as your boredom threshold/patience will allow.:mad:
    Do not be tempted to apply too much lubrication to the adjuster when you tighten it up again as the pinch bolt may not be able to apply enough force to stop it moving out of adjustment.:eek: There is a fine line between to much and too little lube in that area it would seem.:confused::rolleyes:
    Almost forgot ... the c spanner should have a sleeve extension to go over the handle in order to give a bit more leverage.

• Like Like x 1
  3. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    Almost certainly it's seized. The only real cure is a strip down and clean. This often gets overlooked especially by people who service the bikes themselves or just pay for minor services. Expect it to look like this
    [​IMG]

4. Clueless

Clueless New Member

Jun 13, 2015
    Garelochhead
    Thanks for all the advice guys looks like the buggers seized. Which is a double kick in the nuts as I don't have a Socket big enough to take the wheel offwill keep you all posted thanks guys

5. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Would it be possibble to try seperating the the arm more with a large screwdriver where the pinch bolt is?
    If it is done carefully, or even using a small wooden wedge, just to ensure at least one side is fully released...
    Then maybe a wooden/soft mallet

• Like Like x 1
  6. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    Don't get 46mm but 1 13/16inch. cheaper and 1/2inch drive. think its for a mini stub axle.

7. Clueless

Clueless New Member

Jun 13, 2015
    Garelochhead
    Cheers fir the advice guys

8. Clueless

Clueless New Member

Jun 13, 2015
    Garelochhead
    Has anybody got a diagram how to strip the swing arm down to this? I've got the wheel off but struggling to work out what next

9. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Try this YouTube link

Linky

10. Clueless

Clueless New Member

Jun 13, 2015
    Garelochhead
    Cheers man! Got it striped down so I can see the bearings inside now

11. Red Thunder