Tiger900 Gtpro

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Stuart 1, Sep 20, 2024.

1. Stuart 1

Stuart 1 Member

Dec 5, 2021
    Stoke On trent
    I've got problem downshifting when cold just doesn't happen.....much better when engine is hot. 1st time got stuck in 4th and had to stop......clutch lever adjusted correctly, gear pedal moves ok downwards and returns but no resistance....goes up through the gears ok..what's going on? The bike has done 24k and is 3 years old...help?

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Armando Morales

Armando Morales Noble Member

Mar 29, 2021
    Mexico
    any different behavior using the clutch vs the quick shifter?

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Stuart 1

Stuart 1 Member

Dec 5, 2021
    Stoke On trent
    No ì did try the quick shifter but exactly the same....I've booked it in my dealer for them to have a look but service department hadn't heard of a problem like this....

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    Sorry to read about your problem Stuart. Please let us know the outcome of the dealer inspection.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Yes sorry to hear your bike is playing up. I’m also interested in what the problem is ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Have you checked the gear shift rod nuts haven't loosened off a bit

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Hi Stuart, I think your dealer is probably referring to machines he has not had in the workshop rather than nationally, there are a number of owners experiencing the same issue as yourself, some have had their bikes stick in second gear, others in fourth gear, it seems to happen now and again rather than at regular intervals, personally I think it is a software issue within the EMU, if it was a gearbox selector fault, then it would be there all the time, it is not just the Tiger 900 Pro that has this fault, some Speed Triples and Street Triples have the same issue, it is more common than Triumph seem to admit. Insist the dealer completes a thorough examination of your bike, this may require them to keep it for a number of days completing a number of test rides to see if the issue arises on a test run.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Stuart 1

Stuart 1 Member

Dec 5, 2021
    Stoke On trent
    Hi the latest is that the selected drum is worn and a selected plus a few other items springs etc. Parts ordered so hopefully be back on the road in around middle of next week 8/9th Oct. Will update then on how it is and cost ! Thanks all for your input.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. MightyBoosh

MightyBoosh Active Member

Mar 29, 2023
    Uk
    I mean, l'm glad you appear to be heading towards a resolution, but really, a worn selector drum etc at 24k miles? What kind of shit are Triumph building their bikes with? They should be ashamed to tell you....:mad:

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Stuart 1

Stuart 1 Member

Dec 5, 2021
    Stoke On trent
    My thoughts exactly but I'll have a look at it when I fetch it !! I like triumph but not happy with service costs are appalling.....now the quality is in question....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Hi Stuart, to fit the selector drum it is an engine out job, and a strip down of the gearbox, when fitting the selector drum it will need a new bearing, spring, and possibly some other parts, the dealer must have been quick to strip it all down to ascertain the problem. I hope you took out the optional extended warranty being your machine is 3 years old, without meaning to upset you to complete the work if there is no warranty, you will be looking around £1700. Keep the forum updated, sometimes Triumph will offer the supply of parts free as a goodwill gesture, but not the labour, and this is usually conditional that the bike bike has been serviced at the times stated by a Triumph dealer. please keep the forum posted on your progress.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    I had problems with the quickshifter on my GT Pro 900. It worked fine for over two years but once the bike got over 22000 miles on it I began to have problems. Would not shift 3rd to 4th or 4th to 5th and refused to downshift at all.

A week later all would be fine for a while and then back to not shifting. It appeared to be a common problem from reports online - sometimes due to it getting wet, so mine was always liberally sprayed with WD40/GT85 after washing or a wet ride.

Have to say I solved the problem by trading the Tiger in for a Transalp but that probably doesn't help! :D

• Like Like x 1
  13. Stuart 1

Stuart 1 Member

Dec 5, 2021
    Stoke On trent
    Well I've thought about trading it in after it's repaired but I'll probably see if there's any offers during the winter....

• Like Like x 2