Tiger Explorer Tiger Explorer (1st Gen) Heated Grips.

Discussion in 'Tiger / Explorer' started by Fiddlesticks, Dec 6, 2023.

1. Fiddlesticks

Fiddlesticks New Member

Jul 8, 2023
    Wirral
    Hey all,

My genuine Triumph heated grips lasted just under 12 months before the left one died.

Any suggestions on replacements? Will I be able to reuse the switch?

Thanks

2. ManInTheJar

ManInTheJar Member

Feb 4, 2023
    Scotland
    Oxford Hot Grips are great, they are expensive but can often be had at a discount - try places like Sportsbike Shop.

They use an intelligent heat controller which offers a range of temperature settings from warm to red hot and it senses when the ignition us switched off, allowing them to be wired direct to the battery rather than faffing around with the wiring loom.

I made a small bracket to mount the controller on my Tiger 800 using the left mirror mount, this gave a neat and easy to use installation (I'll see if I can find a photo)

The only issue I had was when fitting the throttle side grip. The OEM Triumph fly by wire throttle grip has grooves to accommodate heating wires which make it a slightly larger diameter than normal throttle tubes. I bought a spare used throttle tube and sanded it down to fit the heated grip, this may or may not be an issue on your Explorer.

They come in varying widths so its worth checking the dimensions before buying so you order the correct ones.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Fiddlesticks

Fiddlesticks New Member

Jul 8, 2023
    Wirral
    Thanks. Do you know if they can be wired inside the bars, same as the stock ones?

4. ManInTheJar

ManInTheJar Member

Feb 4, 2023
    Scotland
    No, the wiring is external but with a bit of care isn't really noticeable.

I have used Triumph OEM heated grips and these are much better in terms of performance.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ManInTheJar

ManInTheJar Member

Feb 4, 2023
    Scotland
    I found a photo showing the installed controller.

item.jpeg.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  6. Fiddlesticks

Fiddlesticks New Member

Jul 8, 2023
    Wirral
    Very tidy. They're next on the list.