Vintage Tiger Tiger 955i 2006 Coolant Drain Plug

Discussion in 'Tiger / Explorer' started by Payney, Jun 28, 2024 at 12:13 PM.

1. Payney

Payney New Member

Aug 26, 2023
    Derbyshire
    Hello all.
    Hopefully just a quick one. I'm looking to change the coolant in my Tiger 955i (2006). I have the Haynes Manual and it shows the drain plug as in image 1. It also shows the same location in the Triumph Handbook.
    My bike doesn't have this plug in this location, see image 2.
    Is this the drain plug as shown in image 3?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Haynes Manual Image.jpg

Normal place for drain plug.jpg

Drain plug.jpg

2. TRIPLE X

TRIPLE X Senior Member

Sep 1, 2021
    Downham Market, Norfolk
    Yes, that's it in image 3. Triumph must have changed the location on later models. That just drains coolant from around the cylinders and the main drain is done by removing the bottom hose where it connects to the water pump (unless the water pump has a drain plug?).

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Payney

Payney New Member

Aug 26, 2023
    Derbyshire
    Thanks TRIPLE X. Much appreciated. The Haynes manual says to drain from the drain plug and from the bottom coolant hose to the radiator on the Tiger. I don't see why it shouldn't be disconnected from the water pump though.

4. TRIPLE X

TRIPLE X Senior Member

Sep 1, 2021
    Downham Market, Norfolk
    I think you are looking at an old Haynes Manual. There was an engine change around 2002 and you have the later engine. Images 1 & 3 show different engine cases.

5. Payney

Payney New Member

Aug 26, 2023
    Derbyshire
    I think you're correct. I have the Haynes manual for 97-00 and also the manual for 97-05. They both show the drain plug in the same place. I cant find a manual that includes a 2006 Tiger 955i. Haynes website shows a manual for 97-05 and then 07-11 (for the Tiger 1050). I suppose there were changes from the 2005 to the 2006 engine but maybe not enough bikes produced for Haynes to warrant updating the manual.

6. TRIPLE X

TRIPLE X Senior Member

Sep 1, 2021
    Downham Market, Norfolk
    I agree. I don't think Haynes fully updated their later manual. It makes sense to remove the bottom hose at the water pump which is the lowest point in the system and ensures that the hose and pump drain completely.

7. Payney

Payney New Member

Aug 26, 2023
    Derbyshire
    Thanks TRIPLE X. That's what I will do. Thanks again for your help and advice.

8. TRIPLE X

TRIPLE X Senior Member

Sep 1, 2021
    Downham Market, Norfolk
    Happy to be of assistance :)

9. blacktiger

blacktiger Member

May 14, 2023
    St. Leonards on sea
    The engine castings changed with the introduction of the 955i engine in 2001/2 which tidied up the hoses somewhat. As has been said before, take off the bottom hose to drain the majority and drain out the little bit left in the cylinders using that small bolt.
    TOP TIP:- refill veeerrrryyyyy slowly because air can easily get trapped in the radiator if you fill it all too quickly. Give all the hoses a good squeezing at regular intervals. There's a bleed screw on the thermostat housing which is at the highest point.

10. Payney

Payney New Member

Aug 26, 2023
    Derbyshire
    Thanks blacktiger, I should be doing this tomorrow. Thanks again for the advice.

• Like Like x 2