Thruxton Thruxton R and my hip/pelvis written off...

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by Klunk, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Klunk

Klunk Member

Jun 21, 2016
    Crewe
    I thought I would say bye for now, well once I have flogged some bits and pieces, just put my dual comfort seat up in classifieds. I passed my test 25 years ago and have always had a bike, actually I've still got an Aprilia Mille R... Anyway last Sept I am out on my Thruxton R and was just about to roll over the 1000 miles, I was on a dual carriageway in the right lane not going quick (20ish) cause a queue was forming ahead. A car driver just head of me in the left lane saw the queue and without looking he pulled a u-turn from the inside lane across the outside lane and the double white lines so he could go back the other way and avoid the queue. He took me out and wrote off the Thruxton R, I ended up in the royal stoke hospital (it is thruxton r.jpg fab) I had smashed my left hip and pelvis and I now sport 5 metal plates (10 1/2 hours in surgery with 2 surgeons) and some impressive scars, bits of the leg are still numb but I can walk without crutches now after 6 months and more time in the gym than I ever thought I would spend.. :) I can't however lift my leg as far as I would like so I can't get on a bike and anyway the Thruxton was written off.. A couple of tips I was wearing dainese leathers and a Shoei helmet, I reckon they saved my life so hey wear good kit even when you're doing 20 it's worth it. If you get hurt work your bollox off with the physio and get in the gym as soon as you can the docs told me I would be on crutches for 12 mths I stopped using them at 4 mths, still can't run though :( but I'm working on it. Ride safe and enjoy the summer. PS - Loved that bike even after only 995 miles, nearly got to the 1000 only 5 short :)

2. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Bloody hell Klunk that's a story and a half to be sure. Don't really know what to say other than keep on working to get the best you can. Keep strong.

Very sorry to hear about this tbh.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Thruccy Sean

Thruccy Sean Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Wow really sorry to read your story but glad you're alive to tell the tale!

Shame about the bike but there are much more important things, hope you're able to run again mate.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    sorry to hear about this klunk,but you sound as if you have a positive attitude, so hopefully it wont be too long until you can run again ....and get your leg over...a bike;)

• Like Like x 3
  5. Recycled Rocker

Recycled Rocker Senior Member

Apr 19, 2014
    North Yorkshire Cave
    Bummer mate, and could happen to any of us, it's dangerous out there. Keep on keepin' on Klunk, worst case yer could always think about a trike, seen some nice Rocket 3 ones.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Best wishes Klunk. I hope you will still keep an eye on the forum and eventually maybe get back on a bike that suits you. Not quite in the same league as you, but cos of a sudden complete auto-immune system collapse due to inflammatory rheumatoid arthritis my sports-bike riding days were behind me, but an upright Tiger and a Bonnie and Street Twin proved just the ticket, and as RR said, there's always a trike.

I wudda give your post a 'like' but somehow that doesn't seem quite appropriate in the circumstances so instead have a :big-hug-emoticon:

• Like Like x 2
  7. Wag

Wag Active Member

Jun 19, 2016
    exmouth
    Best wishes, good luck, Bono estente . Ive got a permanent scolded feeling in two fingers from a BMW driving at me 5 tears ago.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Klunk

Klunk Member

Jun 21, 2016
    Crewe
    he's in court for driving without due care and attention awaiting outcome.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Klunk

Klunk Member

Jun 21, 2016
    Crewe
    IMG_3379.PNG Here's the x Ray

• Like Like x 3
  10. mentalist

mentalist Active Member

Sep 28, 2016
    wigan
    Glad your making a reasonable recovery and here to share.
    Had a similar thing happen, damaged my knee,

funny.png

11. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Good luck with your recovery klunk

12. roadrider

roadrider First Class Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    Get well soon.
    Fractured my pelvis in 2 places about 10 years ago,it's a bugger.
    Hope you're back on a bike soon.

• Like Like x 1
  13. H.O.

H.O. Noble Member

Nov 28, 2015
    ARDROSSAN, AYRSHIRE
    All this talk of willies, cracks and Chipendales, whats this forum coming to?

• Like Like x 1
  14. roadrider

roadrider First Class Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    About the same as normal

• Like Like x 1
  15. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    I have the same on my right knee, Total replacement after a hit and run incident on My winter bike Honda Superdream.
    I suffered a broken femur that i landed on and had to have a pin drilled into the bottom part of my leg with weights to pull it back into place again
    [​IMG]