Thruxton: Help Removing Header Pipe

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Dave Roxburgh, Oct 1, 2023.

1. Dave Roxburgh

Dave Roxburgh Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2019
    Suffolk
    Hi All,
    Just wondered if I could pick your brains. I just tried to swap the left header pipe and got a bit stuck. Because of the balance pipe (the horizontal pipe joining the two headers), I can't get the header out of the cylinder - as I try to pull the header out of the cylinder block the balance pipe fouls on the vertical bit of frame that the radiator is mounted on. I believe that bit of frame that runs down form the head stock under the engine to the side stand is called the cradle. Has anyone successfully removed a header? Did you have to loosen the cradle or is there a way to do it without loosening it? I couldn't loosen it as I don't have a star bit big enough for the front engine mounting.
    If I have to loosen the cradle, is there anything I should look out for? It looks like the engine is fully supported by all the other mounts so I should just be able to loosen the cradle and move it forward an inch or so. Although the top radiator mount might need to be removed.
    Cheers,
    Dave
    Thruxton 1200 R

2. Dave Roxburgh

Dave Roxburgh Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2019
    Suffolk
    If you're reading this you might be looking for an answer... this is how I did it.

I was replacing the left hand exhaust header pipe.

The cradle is fixed in three places - at the top (just below the head stock), in the middle (front engine mount) and the bottom (by the side stand).

The engine is fully supported without the cradle so, assuming all the other engine mounts are still in place, you can remove/loosen the cradle without needing to support the engine.

To get the exhaust header out I had to remove the middle and bottom cradle fixings and loosen the top one. I also removed the bolt holding the top of the radiator in place. That gave enough space to wiggle the header pipe out.

The front engine mount requires a T55 star bit.

Dave

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1