That New Old Bike Is Turning Me Crazy (daytona 955 Inside)

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Stefwings, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Stefwings

Stefwings New Member

Oct 1, 2020
    Belgium
    Hello to all the Triumph lovers
    After twenty years without motorcycle, I just bought a Daytona 955i from 2003 with 3000 km !
    It didn't move for the last ten years, and so....But it was stored in a warm and dry place, so no issue with bad electrical connections....(well I'm hoping so)
    Bike looks like new, show room condition all original...(silver)
    BUT.......
    We tried to start it, after draining water, gas and oil, (water was looking like Coca cola, same color!) and here is the moment.....key, start .... And Nope, zero, nothing....
    New battery, fuse of the starter melted, we open the gas tank, has pump and all the linkages inside completely rusted and rotten. Pump didn't do anything, dead....
    We change the pump, all the rubber linkages and the filter inside the tank, and miracle! the engine starts....YES ! stable around 1200 rpm, respond, seems like there is no problem anymore...Drove 100 meters no problem, respond to the throttle, all good....
    BUT....
    Stopped the engine and no way in hell to get it running again....
    (Hey it's a Triumph)
    I leaved the bike 24 hours alone, and then tried to start it again....And....It works!
    Engine is running around 1200 rpm, then starts slowing down and stops completely after 2/3 minutes....
    Tried to start it again, starter is running, but zero explosions, nothing......
    Does someone have an idea of what could ne that issue?...
    I ordered the ECU cable...But in the meantime maybe if there a simple cure for that problem or of someone did have that kind of issue...remember bike is almost new....
    Thanks for reading...HELP !
    By the way, just to make sure, the drain with the red plug goes to the pump or is it the white one? I don't remember...Red is going left on the engine injection , white on the right...

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Hobnail

Hobnail Senior Member

Jan 4, 2020
    USA
    Oh boy..
    The position of the tank connections can work both ways, the fuel just moves in the opposite direction. I don't know if there is a check valve on your fuel rail that would prevent flow. Try to swap the positions. Sounds like fuel issue.

And welcome to the forum.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Stefwings

Stefwings New Member

Oct 1, 2020
    Belgium
    Thanks yes, sounds like a lack of fuel for a mysterious reason....
    I'm so tired to search, I bring it to a Triumph dealer on saturday....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Possibly vacuum in the fuel tank, maybe check all the breather hoses are clear.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Doc Strange

Doc Strange Senior Member

Aug 8, 2019
    UK
    Welcome to the forum from a fellow Silver Dayt 955i rider!

But sorry, not an issue I am familiar with.

DS

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. ChasChas

ChasChas Marxist Scum

Aug 9, 2020
    Kent
    White at the top, red on the bottom on an 02 speed triple. HtH

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Thripster

Thripster Elite Member

Feb 21, 2020
    Northampton, UK
    #7 Thripster, Oct 3, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
    Didn't somebody on here recently find a petrol cut-off valve under the tank that caused similar problems?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Hobnail

Hobnail Senior Member

Jan 4, 2020
    USA
    Yeah. That was on a Bonneville. Something to check. Trace the hoses from the tank to the ground. Neither my speed triple or RS has such. However I found the overflow hose through the tank to be completely blocked. No operation impact, but kept fuel and water lingering in the cap area.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Stefwings

Stefwings New Member

Oct 1, 2020
    Belgium
    Thanks for all the advices. A Triumph dealer picked it up this afternoon, I'm tired of searching...
    Where are the good times with simple carburators and simple non electronic ignition....i would have find out already for a long time...
    I wanted the bike serviced anyway, so...
    We'll see what the mecanics will find...

• Like Like x 2
  10. Stefwings

Stefwings New Member

Oct 1, 2020
    Belgium
    Seems like it doesn't matter...Some do have the red on top like mine, other the white one...The system works both ways...

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Stefwings

Stefwings New Member

Oct 1, 2020
    Belgium
    Ok We think to have found the problem
    Inside the tank are several short pipes going from the pump to the filter, and it seems like those houses are rotten and part of the pressure of the pump is wasted in the tank....
    The dealer tried to run the bike with the tank of another bike and it works, so......

• Like Like x 7
    • Love You Love You x 1
  12. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Stefwings
    Welcome to the family. Glad you are getting the bike sorted. You will love it when its back on the road.
    Regards
    Joe.

13. Stefwings

Stefwings New Member

Oct 1, 2020
    Belgium
    Thank you ..
    We find the problem....Inside the tank are some rubber pipes going from the pump to the filter and from the filter to those damned plastic nipples...You know what I mean....And these rubber pipes were rotten. Looked good but porous and the pump 3.5 bar became....Zero...
    We change them and all is good now....
    I'm a happy rider.....

• Like Like x 3
  14. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Avoid fuel with ETHANOL ! Sounds like the tank might have had ethanol fuel sitting in it for Too long. The ethanol fuel must have rotted the rubber lines.
    @Stefwings

• Like Like x 2