Taillight Options For More Rear Visibility

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Traveler, Feb 14, 2024.

1. Traveler

Traveler Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2023
    Helena, Sweet Home Alabama
    Wife was following me to drop-off the Bonneville at the shop yesterday. First words outta her mouth when we got there was "You need more lights on the back of that thing - they are hardly visible", She's a former rider herself and realizes the importance of being 'visible'.
    Any suggestions as to where to start looking?

Tks!

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. FezUSA

FezUSA Member

Sep 1, 2023
    OH, USA
    Look at Admore Lighting - I have their light bar attached to the top of my license plate. Provides running light, flash > solid brake light (with decelerometer sensor), progressive amber turn signals, and a license plate light in case the bar covers the stock one. I have a number of their products and can tell you that while they're not going to be your cheapest option, they make high quality stuff that will hold up to the rigours of the m/c environment!

Denali also make good stuff. They have a number of options available. Again, not cheap but very good stuff.

3. Traveler

Traveler Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2023
    Helena, Sweet Home Alabama
    #3 Traveler, Feb 15, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2024
    Thank you. Will check those out!

Any problems with wiring it; or should I ask any problems after wiring it into the stock circuits?

4. FezUSA

FezUSA Member

Sep 1, 2023
    OH, USA
    Nope. They provide appropriately sized Posi-Taps so you get solid and waterproof connections. You have to figure out cable routing and where to tap in to. I use a power distribution module (Healtech Thunderbox is my choice, but there are others out there) which provides me with positive and negative once the engine is running. For my TS660, the rear indicators are red with dual functionality - brake and turn. So I tapped into the L/R wires that go through the OEM tail tidy to my stock turn signals. I also routed the light bar cable through the tail tidy and only had to drill a small hole in it.

Note I have two wires going in to the back of each Posi-Tap as I have both a rear light bar as well as vertical LED strips in my panniers. I'll be adding a 3rd set of wires when my top box gets the LED treatment

upload_2024-2-15_12-22-24.png

Close up of the Posi-Taps. The wires at the top/back are the ones from the accessory (light bar and light strips in this case), the other end of them attaches to the wire you're connecting to.
    upload_2024-2-15_12-25-58.png

Drilled a hole in the tail tidy to route the light bar cable. There was a 3rd circle marked which is where I drilled through.
    upload_2024-2-15_12-26-54.png

Cable from light bar to tail tidy
    upload_2024-2-15_12-28-19.png

Running light
    upload_2024-2-15_12-28-54.png

Brake light
    upload_2024-2-15_12-29-40.png

Screen cap from a clip of progressive amber turn signal. You can see the pannier led strip is brighter on the left, it is on/off while turn signal is activated. The light bar is bright amber with a center to outside progression.
    upload_2024-2-15_12-33-31.png

5. WhiteHeat

WhiteHeat New Member

Jan 7, 2023
    Dorchester
    Denali make fabulously bright lights (as well as horns that get you noticed!). I have them on my GS, but not yet on my Triumph Speed Twin. Their rear lights for the Triumph are generic, but they make an LED replacement headlight unit that looks awesome.

• Like Like x 1