Tail Light And License Plate Only Illuminate With Key In Park Mode.

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by JP Madden, Jul 7, 2020.

1. JP Madden

JP Madden Member

Jul 7, 2020
    Winnipeg, Canada
    I've just purchased a 2010 Bonneville SE and find that the lights don't seem to operate correctly.
    I'm searching online for a wiring diagram of the bike but only find spam/clickbait type links.
    Call me insane, but I'm thinking I would have a go at checking out the wiring myself before taking it to the dealer.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    #2 Callumity, Jul 7, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    Folk normally pitch in first in the newbies section before requesting help. The natives find it less upsetting when people disappear with their answer but without a thank you or a result......

However, since you’re here...... a slightly fuller description of ‘don’t seem to operate correctly’ might help. Your SE model is electrically substantially the same as other 865s so wiring diagrams are there to be found. Symptoms? Chances are it’s pretty simple. If it’s just the park light function it could simply be a blown position/sidelight bulb in the bottom of the headlight shell.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. JP Madden

JP Madden Member

Jul 7, 2020
    Winnipeg, Canada
    I appreciate the direction. I will spend some time in the Newbie section for sure. As well, I'll provide more details.

This is an amazing group with solid engagement, so I vow not to take it for granted!

I'll follow up soon. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Check that position bulb!

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. JP Madden

JP Madden Member

Jul 7, 2020
    Winnipeg, Canada
    Bulb position? Forgive me, but what is meant by that? Is it the tail light bulb?

For clarification and additional information...
    The issue is that the Tail Light And License Plate Only Illuminate With Key In Park Mode. Brake light operates/illuminates normally.
    I have only acquired this bike, and almost immediately installed a tail tidy with LED light.
    It was only when the LED was installed that I noticed the issue. I then disconnected the new unit and reconnected the stock unit. The issue remained. Taillight is not lit up unless in the key is in Park mode.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. JP Madden

JP Madden Member

Jul 7, 2020
    Winnipeg, Canada
    Ok, Thank you!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. JP Madden

JP Madden Member

Jul 7, 2020
    Winnipeg, Canada
    UPDATE: TheParking bulb in the headlamp is working fine. It does come on when the key is in Park, but the issue remains that taillight illuminates ONLY when the key is in Park.
    Night riding is still not an option.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    Hi JP and welcome to the forum :cool: good luck with the tail light

• Like Like x 1
  10. Funnyfarm

Funnyfarm Active Member

Jan 3, 2020
    Hampshire
    Attached picture wiring diagram for2010 Bonneville SE from Haynes manual.

15943612912896393385998209009692.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  11. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    Hi and welcome.

12. Jadorff

Jadorff Noble Member

Apr 14, 2019
    Adelaide Australia
    I personally don't like the led lights had problems with the led indicators lost the tail and stop bought normal indicators rewired the tail light and everything good it will be a wiring problem if the Fues is blown you have a short some where welcome's to the form

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. JP Madden

JP Madden Member

Jul 7, 2020
    Winnipeg, Canada
    2nd Update.

Firstly, THANK YOU! for all your responses and comments. Very helpful. In particular, the wiring diagrams that were shared. That was the key to figuring this out!

The problem is solved. It was a fuse! (#8 to be exact) The odd thing about the tail light is that it has two fuses running to it! One for the brake light AND park light, and a separate one for the running light.

So much embarrassment when it ends up being such a simple solution!

Again, thanks for the support. I look forward to engaging and contributing more going forward.

Happy riding all!

• Like Like x 5
  14. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Good result. Thanks for the feedback.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1