T120 Lowering Seat Height Or Bike

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by FlyingAce71, Oct 9, 2023.

1. FlyingAce71

FlyingAce71 Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2023
    Northwest Arkansas
    Thank you all in advance. I just got my 2023 T120 a few days ago and love riding it but my inseam is 30” and I’m on tip toes to move the bike around on both feet. I can flat foot it if I lean one side but then you have the added weight problem.
    Of all the solutions, which is the easiest or…??
    get a lower seat (corbin costs about $620)
    shorter shocks and move the forks? (cost unknown)
    taller boots?

I have read through many many threads around this but just didn’t find a definitive answer that might fit my needs and hope you all don’t mind me asking again.
    Thanks!

2. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    I generally dont like lowering the seat because it puts more bend on your knees and less comfort but the bonnie has fairly good leg room to start with so it wont make a lot of difference. If you lower the suspension you may find yourself scraping the pegs a lot with the bonnie. If it was me I'd probably go lower seat on the bonnie.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    I'd definately look at lowering the seat first although your riding style will influence your choice. If you enjoy 'spirited" riding on typical back roads you will run out of suspension travel/ground clearance quickly if you lower the suspension.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. FlyingAce71

Oct 8, 2023
    Northwest Arkansas
    Thanks all! The corbin is expensive but looks like the best value and comfort. Unless anyone else has some suggestions. Thanks!

5. learningtofly

learningtofly He’s not the Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy!
    Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    Or you could just buy some Daytona M Star or Max Sports GTX boots, with a 6cm heel lift… could be worth a try?

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. FlyingAce71

Oct 8, 2023
    Northwest Arkansas
    I tried a friend’s harley d boots with a good one inch sole, two inch heel. Helped but I still didn’t get the heel on the ground with it, just a touch more toe down instead of just tip toes. Combination of low seat and boots… might work. One thing about the steel toed ones I tried, made it really hard to get my toe under the shifter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Markus

Markus Crème de la Crème
    Subscriber

Oct 28, 2020
    AUSTRIA
    I had the same problem with a pair of boots. I was not able to use the shifter. You should try them before you buy them, if possible.

• Like Like x 1
  8. FlyingAce71

Oct 8, 2023
    Northwest Arkansas
    Yeah, I’ll likely need to move the shifter bar a touch to make steel toes work. I’m now thinking about buying the Daytona M-Star GTX boots and wondering what their toe is like?

9. nickjaxe

nickjaxe Active Member

Sep 2, 2020
    Cheshire UK
    #9 nickjaxe, Oct 16, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2023
    Odd my legs are 30 inch.....get both feet on the floor....are your rear shocks on the lowest setting and do you have a std factory seat??????

Mine is the De-lux seat.....but its just like sitting on the std seat.

10. ManInTheJar

ManInTheJar Member

Feb 4, 2023
    Scotland
    Seat width can be a factor, a wide seat makes it harder to get your foot flat. Sculpting the seat foam in the right places can help here without necessarily reducing the overall thickness. Alternatively a good upholsterers should be able to rebuild your seat with thinner high quality foam of vaying density sculpted to suit you and give you a seat which is lower and more comfortable whilst retaining the stock look. Probably costing a bit less than a Corbin as well.

Personally I have a 29" inseam and currently ride a Tiger 800 and have owned a few tall bikes including a Pegaso 650 which is really tall. Not being able to flat foot on them has never been a problem, on most I felt stable enough getting the front of my feet on the ground. On the Pegaso I simply put more weight on my left foot at standstill with just the tip of my right toes on the ground or holding the rear brak on.

Maybe I am fortunate to have done an RAC/ACU training course in my teens where we were taught to ride feet up on a slalom course where the cones were progressively moved closer together until it was impossible to complete the course. As a result I can ride feet up to almost a stand still and often practice balancing my bike with my feet just clear of the ground whilst waiting at traffic lights just to hone my balance.

11. triumph900

triumph900 Active Member

Dec 24, 2017
    US
    Just lean to one side a bit!

Seriously, I'd avoid lowering the bike. It could impact ride quality, lean angle, etc.

Before going with Corbin, give Omegaracer.com a look. They offer seats and they seem to be willing to communicate/work with you to customize a seat.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Mrs Visor

Mrs Visor Elite Member

Aug 21, 2021
    UK
    I am a bit on the short side and have to say that if your issue lies in moving the bike around using your feet to paddle it might be easier to just push it. Apologies if that just seems a bit simplistic / dismissive but I can just tiptoe my Fireblade and am unable to paddle it backwards, so will just get off push it if I need to back it into a spot to park etc. At lights or brief stops I shift my bum off the seat a bit to one side so I have just one foot flat and stable on the ground rather than precariously tiptoeing both sides; I move myself rather than lean the bike so I don't create a weight problem for myself as it's top heavy and more than a slight lean becomes heavy, quickly, for me.

I know a few people who really rate the Daytona Lady Star / M Star boots to give extra height though as others have suggested.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. FlyingAce71

Oct 8, 2023
    Northwest Arkansas
    I got the Daytona M-Star boots, great fit and comfortable, the extra height helps but I’ve started doing exactly what you said when I really need to get it moved, I get off and push it where I need to. Otherwise, i’m adapting pretty well to how to get around confidently without lowering or altering the bike or spending too much on a new seat that only gets me .5” at the most.
    Thanks!

• Like Like x 2
  14. Mrs Visor

Mrs Visor Elite Member

Aug 21, 2021
    UK
    Pleased to hear you're sorted :).

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Markus

Markus Crème de la Crème
    Subscriber

Oct 28, 2020
    AUSTRIA
    My wife is doing the same like you. If necessary she is getting off the bike and pushes in the needed direction/position. Additionally she is using the boots you mentioned. ;) She loves them.

• Useful Useful x 1