T 120 Lack Of Tires On The Market.

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Woodtickgreg, Sep 16, 2023.

1. Woodtickgreg

Woodtickgreg Senior Member

Dec 23, 2022
    Eastpointe, Michigan
    Well I have riden my bonneville long enough to agree that the stock pirellis are garbage tires. Avon are non existent in the USA. I think the spirits are being discontinued and the mkll are impossible to find. So I don't have many options it seems. There's the new michelins that they are putting on the new bikes but I've read mixed reviews on them. Continental road attack 3's get good reviews but again are pretty hard to find. The have a road attack 4 but I've never seen it in the odd front tire size the Bonnie has 100/90-18 seems very hard to find. Bridgestone are just ok. If I'm going to change the tires I want something way better than what it came with stock. Anybody else have a hard time finding tires?

2. learningtofly

learningtofly He’s not the Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy!
    Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    Over here they're now supplied with Michelin Road Classics on them. I've only done a few hundred miles on mine but I have to say that I have no complaints... there are certainly none of the usual failings of the older stock tyres fitted to the modern classic range.

Otherwise, I agree with regard to the limited options if you want the exact size. There is some leeway, though, and I'm likely to go for Dunlop Mutants when I change as they're more akin to the look I'd like for the bike.

• Like Like x 2
  3. jdwalmsley

jdwalmsley Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    british columbia
    I've had really good performance from the Metzler Roadtec 01 on my 2020 T120.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. triumph900

triumph900 Active Member

Dec 24, 2017
    US
    I like Road Attacks but last time I was looking there was a pretty substantial back order going on. Hopefully things are better now...?

5. Markus

Markus Crème de la Crème
    Subscriber

Oct 28, 2020
    AUSTRIA
    You may take Bridgestone BT46. I used them on my T120 without any issues!;)

6. Woodtickgreg

Dec 23, 2022
    Eastpointe, Michigan
    Not any better, they are hard to find in the states. It seems like all tires are hard to find in the sizes our bonnevilles take. The new michelin classics are readily available and I may try those. Since avon closed the British factory the have been unobtanium.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Cape Cod Carl

Cape Cod Carl Member

Mar 31, 2019
    Plymouth Ma
    Hi, had the Avons on my 2016 Bonneville and liked them but when they weren't available put on Avon Roadtec 01 , like them even better! have 21,000 on bike about 2,000 on the Avons

• Like Like x 1
  8. Woodtickgreg

Dec 23, 2022
    Eastpointe, Michigan
    Cant find those either.

9. Stu23

Stu23 Member

Jul 31, 2017
    Calne, Wiltshire, UK
    If you go up a size on the front, to a 110/80 you can fit Bridgestone radials front and rear. They are basically the same diameter, slightly wider, fit with no issues. I use BT023, which are an older design available for sensible money here in UK, but more than good enough for a retro style bike. I've used them on much more powerful Triumphs in the past. They are a massive improvement on the standard tyres. If BT023 are unavailable, or not cheap, the newer ones are T30, T31 and T32. All excellent, progressively newer and more expensive.

Use 110/80ZR18 front, 150/70ZR17 rear.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Woodtickgreg

Dec 23, 2022
    Eastpointe, Michigan
    That's great advice, thank you for that. I'll look into it and see what I can find here in the states.

11. RevPaul

RevPaul Senior Member

Apr 21, 2020
    Cheshire, UK
    I think @Cape Cod Carl probably meant Metzeler Raodtec01 as recommended by @jdwalmsley, they’re also recommended by Ride magazine here in the UK. And I’m also curious why you’re considering changing front tyre size to go with Bridgestone BT023 when @Markus has recommended the Bridgestone BT46 also from ridden experience, or are Bridgestone and Metzeler not available in the USA?

Hope you find something soon.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Cape Cod Carl

Cape Cod Carl Member

Mar 31, 2019
    Plymouth Ma
    I'm glad one of us knows what I was trying to say ! METZELERS is correct !

• Like Like x 1
  13. Woodtickgreg

Dec 23, 2022
    Eastpointe, Michigan
    The batlax tires do not get a high score here in reviews, just kind of mediocre. If I'm going to upgrade the tires I'm wanting a much better tire than the stock pirelli tires.
    This is all just rather frustrating.
    The continental road attacks get good reviews but are also out of stock everywhere here.

14. learningtofly

learningtofly He’s not the Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy!
    Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    Bear in mind, too, that the stock tyres may well be a lesser spec than the retail version of the same. Triumph are quite naughty when ot comes to tyres (as, I'm sure, are many others).

15. triumph900

triumph900 Active Member

Dec 24, 2017
    US
    #15 triumph900, Oct 6, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2023
    A round 2X4 would be better than OE!

On a more serious note, it's troubling that Road Attacks are still backordered. I ran into this in the US in the summer when looking for tires for my wife's Street Twin. Settled for Pirelli Sport Demons. They're OK at best, but they are an improvement over OE.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Woodtickgreg

Dec 23, 2022
    Eastpointe, Michigan
    So right now the only tire I can get a set of are michelin road classics. That is the new oem tire for the bonnevile. I'm going to wait and see if tires come back into stock over the winter and maybe I can pick up a set of something better then.
    I have noticed on hard acceleration the rear of the bike gets real squirrely. It's the tires. Front end has a shimmy at certain speeds, it's the tires. A great bike with crappy tires. I had hoped everyone was wrong about the tires and that I could just live with them but unfortunately they where right, the tires are crap!

17. Woodtickgreg

Dec 23, 2022
    Eastpointe, Michigan
    Well I took your advice Markus. I ordered a set of the Bridgestone bt46 tires. These I can get. Getting tires in the US for the bonneville is pure frustration. I hope these tires are an improvement over the stock crap pirelli tires. I chose the H speed rated bridgestones because I read in a few places that they are better suited for tube style wheels. Plus I don't ride over a 100 mph, lol.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  18. Markus

Markus Crème de la Crème
    Subscriber

Oct 28, 2020
    AUSTRIA
    @Woodtickgreg: You will love them. With those tyres mounted you will feel like riding a new bike. They fit very well to the possibilities of a Bonnie.;)

• Like Like x 1
  19. FJS

FJS New Member

Dec 20, 2023
    Gua
    I got my Speed Twin 900 with the Michelin Road Classics and have zero complaints or issues with them. About 5500 kms so far and they are wearing well. Also the only tire I can get in those sizes so I ordered a new set as spare.

• Like Like x 2
  20. nickjaxe

nickjaxe Active Member

Sep 2, 2020
    Cheshire UK
    Can I ask what probs you have had with the std fit pirellis.

I am just in the process of fitting my first new tyre to my 2020 T100....7500mls.

A front....rear is still fine.

Fitting Michelin Road Classic tyres....only the front at the moment.

Triumph seem to fit them to all there new bonnies.

The fronts are a cross ply tyre as to the rear being a radial....hence why the rear lasts twice as long it seems.