Starting Problem: Fuel Pump And Starter Don't Engage.

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by C&M<3T120, Aug 19, 2022.

1. C&M<3T120

C&M<3T120 New Member

Aug 19, 2022
    Texas
    #1 C&M<3T120, Aug 19, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2022
    We are the proud owners of a silver 2018 Triumph Bonneville T120! Only 452 miles on it when we purchased the bike.
    However, we are experiencing starting problems already.
    The problem....
    We start with the normal set up.
    Switch on handle bar in RUN position. Turn ignition to ON. Dash lights turn on and speedo lever goes all the way over and back BUT *Fuel Pump does not buzz*
    Then Press handle bar switch to START position. *starter does not turn*

The bike will eventually start. Via eventually when we do all these steps the fuel pump will engage and the starter will turn and the bike starts. This also always happens once we have been riding it for a while. We have never had this happen first thing in the morning when the bike is cold but we have only had it for a few weeks.

What we have done already...
    -the recall on the wiring behind the headlight has been done.
    -the battery is brand new.
    -we have checked the battery terminals and they are tight.
    -opened up the handlebar switch and sprayed silicone lube on the contact points to make sure there is proper connection.
    -there is fuel in the tank.
    -the bike has not been tipped over under our care and to our knowledge it has never been tipped over.
    -the other key for the bike is no where near by when we experience this issue.

We have been researching and asking questions. However any issue we have looked up and read about doesn't match our exact problems. It's usually just the fuel pump not engaging but the starter turns... OR.... visa versa. We have not come across someone with both the fuel pump and starter not engaging.

One Triumph tech said he has experienced this twice before. He said one time is was the contacts and he sprayed some silicone lube on them and it fixed the issue... which we did but the issue persists.
    The other time he experienced it ... it ended up being the tip over sensor was tripping. He ended up removing it, turning it over (to essentially reset it) and reinstalled it. Which fixed the issue. We have not tried this yet. I am currently waiting on the service manual to arrive.

I really feel that a safety feature or sensor is the culprit. Something is specifically not allowing both the fuel pump and starter to engage.

I have observed at least once that when I have turned off the bike the fan was still blowing. I came back about 5 minutes later to see if the bike would start ... it did not start. I waited an hour or more and then tried it again. It started.
    I then decided to not shut off the bike if I hear that the fan is on. I will continue to operate in this fashion to see if this fixes the issue.

Any advice on this is appreciated.

-C&M