Spoked Wheels_i Fucked Up

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by DanNotTheMan, Jun 17, 2024.

1. DanNotTheMan

DanNotTheMan New Member

Apr 10, 2023
    Austria
    Foolishly started tightening a couple spokes, now wheels runs untrue. I also managed to mess up the screw part of one spoke pretty good (so it can't properly be turned/gripped anymore). What options do I have now? What will it cost if I let a shop repair my fuck-up? What will they have to do? Replace the one fucked up spoke, true the rim etc? Or will it be better to have all the spokes replaced?

I am so mad at myself right now, and need advise

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  2. Samsgrandad

Samsgrandad Senior Member

Dec 15, 2019
    Somerset
    Take it to a wheel builder, they should be able to replace the damaged spoke and true the wheel.
    Don't beat yourself up too much we have all made this sort of mistake!!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    @DanNotTheMan Yes as @Samgrandad said. We all been there. And do price up the repair job not all that expensive. Or search eBay for wheels which may be more than you want to pay and you don't know what you are getting. So repair may be you're route. A lot of peeps have the wheel respoked in stainless still not expensive and doesn't suffer with the rust problem a lot of Triumph wheels get. @Joe

4. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    It’s easier to put right than you think. Study it in a logical way. Get the tyre removed and the spoke band off. Take out the damaged spoke nipple from the ‘inside of tyre cavity’. Generally it has a slot drive for a wide screwdriver to unscrew then just order a replacement from any wheel builder.
    To true the wheel, use two car axle stands and place the wheel onto them so it spins freely. So long as the wheel isn’t oval, the side to side movement is easy to put right. You’ll find that the spokes will pull either to the left or to the right and once you’ve worked that out you can gently loosen a a group of say lefties, tighten a group of righties and the rim will move towards the right. Possibly do them in threes. It’s trial and error but it’s very satisfying when it starts coming together

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
  6. DanNotTheMan

DanNotTheMan New Member

Apr 10, 2023
    Austria
    Thanks everyone for your kind supporting words. I guess we learn from our mistakes the best, so I actually spend hours researching and learning about how to properly tension spokes and align the rim. Bought a truing stand and successfully finished the job today (I also fixed the entirely falsely placed wheel weights).

@Tigcraft for sure, love to know and learn from others expertise

• Like Like x 5
  7. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
  8. DanNotTheMan

DanNotTheMan New Member

Apr 10, 2023
    Austria
    Yes, it is very quite satisfying when it starts to run true again, and then you tweak it a little and its way out of whack again LOL. And then a back and forth, and you know what I am talking about ;)

• Love You Love You x 1