Speed Twin Modding

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Twinshock, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Twinshock

Twinshock New Member

Jun 7, 2020
    London
    I have a deposit down on a Speed Twin which is due next week. So, as we are prone to do, my head has turned to how to empty more cash from my pocket on things I obviously can't live without on my new steed.

My initial thoughts are:
    • Radiator guard - it does look vulnerable so I'm considering the R & G guard in black. It looks on paper a discreet addition. If anyone has any experience of them it would be good to hear about.
    • Tank protection - I have used Invisible Patterns film on my last few bikes but there doesn't appear to be a specific kit for them. They have one for the Bonnie but I'm not sure how similar the tank shape is. The Triumph tank pad looks discreet but is it too small to prevent much rubbing of the tank?
    • Screen - I have to face reality and accept I will need a screen for my comfort. Tempted by the Dart classic but not sure if it will give me enough protection (I ride throughout the year) I know they have the Marlin but I'm not bought into it's looks so much. Again, and I know it's personal, any experiences shared are welcome.
    • Tail tidy. Surely the number plate hanger provides no protection! I anticipate a rooster tail and wet back so I may as well smarten up the back end. TEC seems popular, how about the quality and fit?
    • Rack - I'm undecided on this. I have a Ventura luggage set kicking about so may try and pick up some 'L' brackets for the Twin. It's all buried at the back of the shed somewhere so I'll need to go hunting and hope it hasn't rotted away
    I realise all these are quite practical but hey, needs must. I can then get onto the proper bling!

• Like Like x 2
  2. nikolashka

nikolashka Member

May 21, 2019
    london
    i'd also get :

throttle spacer kit
    xpipe
    booster plug

and louder pipes ;)

3. Jet City

Jet City Noble Member

Sep 24, 2018
    Seattle, Washington USA
    First of all, congratulations. What a terrific motorcycle and you are going to love it.

Here is a list of my upgrades so far and the A to F grade for each one. ;) This a bit of a repost but it took awhile to create it and I am a lazy, lazy man.

By the way, I haven’t considered a radiator guard but it’s a good idea.

1. Sato Racing crash bungs. Chosen because they are clean and unobtrusive. Grade: A so far, because they have not yet been tested. No first hand info is available yet. ;)

2. Evotech tail tidy. Looks like it could be stock, retains the stock license plate light. Grade: A

3. Ohlins rear shocks from a Thruxton R. Bolt right on, they look the business. But they are VERY firm. I only go about 160-165 lbs and I’ve got them set on the “comfort” soft settings from the factory, and the bike still feels “sports car” taut. They look awesome, though with the yellow and gold contrast with the black bike. Grade: B+

4. Stainless steel mufflers from a Thruxton. They bolt right on; I simply like the look better than the painted black. No performance difference. Grade: B

5. Sato Racing helmet lock. Good God, why don’t modern bikes have helmet locks? What’s up with that? The Sato part is nicer than anything the factory could afford to give you anyway. Grade: A

6. Arton Works retro gauge faces. This may sound frivolous, but you spend more time looking at the gauges than any other part of your motorbike. A and J cycles sells these gauge faces for $100; they mount in place of the slightly gaudy stockers. A breeze to install and worth every penny! Grade: A+

7. Triumph case guards. These come in a set, left and right, and mount snugly over the engine cases on each side (not protruding like crash bungs). I bought these mainly to support my dealer during the COVID19 slowdown. Frankly though by the time the engine cases touch the ground you have way bigger fish to fry and your bike is probably a writeoff. I had similar covers on my RSV4, which was crashed for me by my friend, and although $7000 of damage was done the case covers were pristine. I have not felt the need to install them yet. Grade: C

8. Triumph heated grips. So sanitary, so toasty on cold days. Don’t leave the city limits without them. The Triumph parts do seem kinda spendy (although again, the installation is seamless and the heating level shows up on the dash which is pretty cool). Grade: B+ simply because of the price.

9. Meerkat crossover. It’s a beautifully made part, which makes it a pleasure to have on the bike, and an excellent value. Unlike on my Bonneville, though, it didn’t seem to make a big difference in performance. If I’m honest, grade is a B+.

Let us all know what you do, and what mods you like (and don’t like). Cheers!

• Like Like x 2
  4. Twinshock

Twinshock New Member

Jun 7, 2020
    London
    I’m not sure if this is the right forum or if it should be in the twin power section, one for the mods?

Anyway, the important stuff. I picked up my Speed Twin last Friday with a few off the shelf accessories already added. Headlight bezel, heated grips, black intake covers, power socket and black levers. Oddly the brake reservoir was not available. Hopefully this will come back into stock at a later date. But, all this means nothing without pictures. So here it is.

I also had a Powebronze fender extender added and within 50 miles I was glad I had. How much road muck would have been thrown up without it I don’t know but it looks like £20 well spent already. When I got home and took a look at the back end I think it also needs a hugger. It may not do much for the looks but would certainly reduce cleaning time. I’m not sure anyone makes one though unless someone knows different?

Initial impressions are good, it feels light and eager to rev up. What has also surprised me is the fuel consumption. I know I’m running in but it was around 69 mpg! The first tank I ran down to 8 miles left (covering 167 miles) and only managed to get in 10.3 litres. However, I think I could have got more in as the indicator only showed as having 7 bars once it loaded up and I think it should go up to 8?

I’ve also been surprised at how calm the airflow has been having come form a bike with a small fairing. Much better than I anticipated. I have a Dart flyscreen ready to go but whilst the sun is out it shall remain in the box.

The one annoyance is the play in the twist grip, yes you can ride around it but it doesn’t feel great. I’m booked in for my first service next week so will review this once I’m allowed to open the bike up a bit more, it may not be so noticeable then.

All in all I’m really enjoying the bike and looking forward to getting some more miles in so I can get to enjoy the engine in all its glory. And as the sun is out I shall go out and tick off a few more running in miles whilst I can

7FA67F00-9A62-4FD1-9013-FEBFA7FF36E3.jpeg

5836F3F8-5780-4AE2-8ABF-1BF5BD5FCF43.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  5. nikolashka

nikolashka Member

May 21, 2019
    london
  6. Jet City

Jet City Noble Member

Sep 24, 2018
    Seattle, Washington USA
    Yeah, the Speed Twin is aces. Nicely done there. And the factory heated grips are pretty sweet.

However, I see your point about the road muck. Holy cow, don’t they pave the streets in London? ;) I was in your (very beautiful) country last year and I remember the roads as being in pretty good shape. :)

7. bob1

bob1 Noble Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Somerset
    definitely go with the throttle spacers well worth the £20 or whatever they cost and only a ten minute job

• Like Like x 1