Speed Triple Engine Rattle

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by darren wakeling, Jun 27, 2017.

1. darren wakeling

Jun 18, 2017
    Chelmsford essex
    It's prob been mentioned on here a million times so sorry!! Lol.., my 2013 speed triple has a rattle to the engine that I can only discribe as similar to an old Ford Fiesta engine with a sticky tappet!!!.. anyone had similar or any advice why?.. I've been told it could be the fact that triumph use thinner casing so you hear more noise??!! To don't worry about it!!... it's only just started doing it so must be something and I find it irritating!oil levels all ok.. thanks for reading you wonderful triumph people!

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  2. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    Have you had her from new?
    Full service history?
    Is it cam chain noise?
    How many miles?
    A mate had a cam chain noise so changed it to find the noise was still there lots of head scratching and a call to a very knowledgeable Triumph mechanic who said it was the little end of the middle cylinder, he was right!
    That was on a 1997 bike but not high miles I don't know if triumph modified the engine since to stop this problem
    Could be simple but when all other options have been explored think little end :mad:

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. darren wakeling

Jun 18, 2017
    Chelmsford essex
    Hello mate, it's 2013, full triumph service history, I bought it in January and sounded perfect, it's done just over 10,000 , little end sounds expensive!!!.. I really couldn't tell you where the noise is but went online and watched videos and it sounded simalar to what was online!my local triumph dealer says it's nothing to worry about howevever I'm sure a noise that sounds mechanical wasn't there before and now is isn't a good thing!!

4. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    Like I said mate worse case scenario could be something stupid like a loose washer spinning on a bolt I had a z1000 with a horrible rattle and it was the glass in the bar end mirror spinning when you reved the engine!

5. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    At 10,000 miles you are getting close to needing the valve shims checked. Might just be worth having it done anyway, if only to reduce the cost of the 12,000 mile service. Having said that, the shim gaps tend to reduce unlike tappet gaps which get wider, and therefore noisier, with use.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. darren wakeling

Jun 18, 2017
    Chelmsford essex
    Cheers Steve, I'm planning on getting the service done early to see if that was the case, it's over the two year point for the service anyway

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. MarkL

MarkL New Member

Sep 22, 2016
    hampshire
    I had an odd noise that sounded like the engine was spitting, it turned out to be some small hoses under the tank that had perished and cracked, quick and cheap to fix by my dealer so if it sounds like that you may be in luck

8. MarkL

MarkL New Member

Sep 22, 2016
    hampshire
    I had an odd noise that sounded like the engine was spitting, it turned out to be some small hoses under the tank that had perished and cracked, quick and cheap to fix by my dealer so if it sounds like that you may be in luck. Cheers, Mark