Speed Triple 1050, 2007.5+, Starting Issue From Cold

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Jozi_007, Jun 3, 2024.

1. Jozi_007

Jozi_007 New Member

May 30, 2024
    Johannesburg, South Africa
    Good day, I have a 2007.5+ (a designation I learned about through this forum, so thanks contributors) which started to give problems on the first start of the day. I would turn on the ignition, wait for the tacho and lights to do their thing, pull in the clutch and thumb the starter button - there would then be a delay of about 2 seconds and then she would crank and start normally. All subsequent starts that day, whether hot, warm or cool, were 100% normal

This worsened, to the point that she would not crank at all, and I would have to cycle the ignition off then on and try again. On one occasion, in frustration, I thumbed the starter a few times in quick succession and then she cranked and started, but the MIL came on. After 3 start/warm/cool cycles it went off, but I checked with TuneECU (cable version with Windows laptop) and the code was for injector 1 circuit malfunction. I removed the injector connector, gave it a squirt of WD40, and left her overnight.

The next morning, the non-starting was back, and again the annoyed repeated attempts to start got her going, but again with the MIL on. This time it was ECM Relay circuit malfunction. I came to the conclusion that it had to be a bad connection somewhere, and I went to the manual that I have to sort out which of the ECU wires needed to be checked - and there hit a problem; the manual I have (T3856080) shows the ECU connectors as being different sizes and having 3 rows of terminals - my bike has connectors that are the same size, one black and one grey, and they each have two rows of terminals. That is when I learned of the "running change" Triumph did in 2007, going from Keihin ECU v1 to v2.

So, to my question: does anyone have a manual for the 2007.5+ speedy? The 2005 to 2007.5 is readily available on the interwebs as a pdf, but not the next generation one (T3856544) - it's there, but not as a free download. I don't want to go to the expense of buying one, as I'm not even sure it will suit my bike. I don't need the whole manual, just that coloured whole-system wiring diagram at the back.

Please let me know if you can assist - I have, in the meantime, disconnected, checked, and sprayed all the connectors that might be causing the issue and, so far, she is behaving. But it would be nice to have the wiring diagram to do targeted diagnostics in case she plays silly-buggers again.