Speed Rs Engine Tuning

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Burny_13, Apr 21, 2020.

1. Burny_13

Burny_13 Active Member

Jun 16, 2019
    Reading
    Hi guys,

I was wondering what options there are for tuning the engine on the Speed RS?

Has anyone had theirs on the dyno yet and had the fueling tweeked to suit other modifications, eg exhaust?

If so, whats possible, and who does it? - preferably options in the UK, but as this is a global forum any answers will always help others :)

Cheers,

Chris.

• Like Like x 1
  2. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Sorry I can’t help you with that, but have a look at this dyno run from another forum. Bone stock with exhaust discs and baffles removed. Looks like no need for a tune. I have been running mine like that since last year and it’s been brilliant.

178CF67C-E97A-405B-852E-FBFCED347342.png

• Like Like x 3
  3. Dickie

Dickie Active Member

Jun 8, 2016
    Tadcaster, North Yorks
    Try Hilltop Motorcycles in Hinkley.

Heres the trace they did on my 2015 Speed Triple 1050 R
    2015 Speed Triple R ECU Reflash Dyno Graph.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Burny_13

Burny_13 Active Member

Jun 16, 2019
    Reading
    Do you have the AFR print out from this too? Not just power and torque.

5. Dickie

Dickie Active Member

Jun 8, 2016
    Tadcaster, North Yorks
    AFR? Air Fuel Ratio - No.

6. Linx

Linx Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2020
    Stratford Upon Avon, UK
    Any mods Dickie?
    Can you feel the difference?

7. Dickie

Dickie Active Member

Jun 8, 2016
    Tadcaster, North Yorks
    Arrow Cans & K&N Filter.
    Smoother, loads of low grunt.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Burny_13

Burny_13 Active Member

Jun 16, 2019
    Reading
    it’s strange. I have heard lots of mixed press about hilltop, but with one common feature. No AFR graph.

This to me, as a Motorsport transmissions R&D Engineer, points to the power graphs being ‘false’.
    It also ties up quite well with the way the power and torque differ on the before and after.
    Rest assured I won’t go near Hilltop.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Hi
    Re tuning the Triumph RS Sprint, it depends on the year, if you have the single sided swing arm model then it makes around 115 BHP as standard and a 155 mph top speed, a simple afertmarket quality exhaust, K&N air filter and Iridium plugs will up that a little with a 160 mph speed. Tuning the engine is costly, as an alternative you could consider an engine swap for a Daytona 955i engine, this will give you roughly an extra 45 BHP, but the change is a little time consuming and requires all manner of items changing. I had the limited edition RS Sprint that I bought in 2007 (it was a 2004 old new stock). They are a great bike although a little heavy. My personal view would be the cost V benefit in performance would make it cost prohibited, have you considered the CRK cafe racer kit for your RS, if you don't mind having it non standard you would have one cool bike.

IMG_0738.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  10. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    The cheapest tuning option is shedding weight ! CRK kit will do this ! Add a super light exhaust and pull off anything that is superfluous ! I did the following to my 99/00 sprint st ,:- swapped std exhaust system for titanium extractors with dual under seat mufflers (26 kg off) put after market K&N air filter and fiddled with the ECU tune used 'tuneecu' I got much better handling from centering the weight and of course acceleration improved as I'd say nearly 30 kg removed !
    The Titanium extractors would have cost me a mint !! But I got extremely lucky on that , walked into a bike shop at just the right time ! Got a $1200 system for $300 as they wanted to clear it ! As part of the fitting of the under seat mufflers , I had to remove ,modify by cutting it down and re in state the plastic under tray . Had to move battery an ecu also had to re route the wiring for tail lights ! I eventually removed the whole indicator system went led and smaller and lighter in weight tail light , shed possibly another kilogram.

• Like Like x 1