speed four brakes

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by ren, Jun 27, 2015.

1. ren

ren Member

Jul 10, 2013
    wigan
    Hi all.
    My speed four failed it's mot on both disc brakes having too much play in them.I believe these are called floating brakes, should they have some play in them, ie looking from above the wheel the discs moved slightly from side to side. Please help.

2. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Ok I believe what has happened is that the bobbins ( circled ) are probably worn. course it could be the disc as well, mine have movement they make a clunking noise sometimes that had me looking at wheel and head bearings until I found the cause!!. I have been told you can replace the bobbins , but cant see any anywhere. Best to approach your nearest friendly triumph garage. chances are its a whole unit kind of thing. heres a video showing the opposite but it gives you an idea of the parts and what goes on wheel.jpg

3. ren

ren Member

Jul 10, 2013
    wigan
    Thank you for the information. UOTE="crispey, post: 32229, member: 2394"]Ok I believe what has happened is that the bobbins ( circled ) are probably worn. course it could be the disc as well, mine have movement they make a clunking noise sometimes that had me looking at wheel and head bearings until I found the cause!!. I have been told you can replace the bobbins , but cant see any anywhere. Best to approach your nearest friendly triumph garage. chances are its a whole unit kind of thing. heres a video showing the opposite but it gives you an idea of the parts and what goes on View attachment 5227 [/QUOTE]
    Th