Saturday Night Outing--after 55 Straight Nights At Home, We'll Take It!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Sandi T, May 26, 2020.

1. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    #1 Sandi T, May 26, 2020
    Last edited: May 26, 2020
    This past Saturday evening Mr. Sandi and I had our first "date night"--one out of the house and yard anyway! He had read about Little Anthony's Diner's plans for reopening safely and suggested we go check it out. Little Anthony's is a '50's themed restaurant and they turned the parking lot into a car hop area. It proved to be great fun and was the first time we've done something that even approached feeling "normal" in nearly two months. Mr. Sandi and I both thought the staff there did a terrific job of using safety measures (and correctly!) but also making the whole experience feel fun and not too weird. :grinning:

I took this first photo from the passenger seat of Mr. Sandi's truck. There were two entertainers for the evening, one an Elvis impersonator and one posing as Marilyn Monroe Both were young adults--probably unemployed from the live theatre company just around the corner. When they weren't singing, they had on masks as did every staff person that we saw from our truck. The management clearly didn't require customers to wear masks but tables were spaced out and, from what we could tell, there was no indoor seating.
    IMG_8426.jpeg

IMG_8436.jpeg

Orders were "touchless" with our car hop explaining to us how to get on their web site and download the appropriate app. I'd estimate there were probably about a dozen cars in the car hop area and three or four outdoor tables with customers seated at them.

IMG_8431.jpeg

Marilyn and our car hop posing for my camera--the one time I got out of my car. Yep, with my mask on. :rolleyes:

IMG_8441.jpeg

Some customers were in convertibles and there was a lone motorcyclist. It was absolutely perfect weather for both!

IMG_8446.jpeg

IMG_8440.jpeg

Mr. Sandi had a hot dog and fries and I had a delicious reuben sandwich with a side of cole slaw. All that was missing was a beer. But I have lots of those in the fridge at home. I'll settle for a Pepsi for a night out! :):joy:

• Like Like x 23
  2. Old dumb arse

Old dumb arse Noble Member

Mar 28, 2020
    KS
    American graffiti movie written all over it. Yep still got a drive in movie theater here that opened last Friday.
    Sonic drive inns
    still have carhops, just not on roller skates anymore. Popular places for rod meets.

• Like Like x 6
  3. Old dumb arse

Mar 28, 2020
    KS
    Thanks Sandi a great stroll down memory lane drive in theater concession stand still has all of the classics, hot dog, chllli dog, popcorn, hot roasted peanuts, pickled eggs, big chlily dilly
    pickle, and slushes. Nachos came later.

• Like Like x 5
  4. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    What a fantastic place and a great night out, your lucky.

This is what us Brits have to put up with on a normal night out.

Screenshot_20200527-064820.jpg

• Funny Funny x 12
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Wishbone

Wishbone First Class Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    That looks like a real fun place to have a meal, they deserve to make it through this nightmare:cool:

And all of us Triumph Forumites too:mask:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    Very posh mate but like all northerners she doesn't get out the bath for a wee unlike you soft southerners.:joy:

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    This is true, we'll try anything to stay warm. :p

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Love it Sandi :cool:, like you apart from work & back we have barely been anywhere for what feels like ages :rolleyes:, every day feels like groundhog day :dizzy:.
    Nice to see a slightly altered version of normality is returning your side of the pond, you got me craving a burger & fries now. :yum:)

• Like Like x 4
  9. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    It was really a fun evening, DD! I love the 50's Rock n Roll stuff, too. If my mom and dad were still around, I'd ask them their thoughts on that era as I'm sure that it's not quite like the movies and TV shows like Happy Days. :rolleyes::joy: But some cool stuff definitely came out of that decade. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Very cool that there's a drive in movie theater in your area, @Old dumb arse! :) Those may make a comeback in the age of COVID. We have Sonic drive-ins in Tucson too--you're right, car hops yes but roller skates no. Probably a liability issue. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
  11. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Ahhh, yes, all the classics! Although we never had the pickled eggs on the menu. ;) For me if it's a movie it's gotta be popcorn and a soda. Or pop. Depending on where you live. :)

• Like Like x 2
  12. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    I think lots of folks are going to remember how restaurants (and other businesses) did business during the pandemic and the shutdowns. We were impressed how Little Anthony's functioned and will definitely start patronizing them in the future. As restaurants go, this one is pretty much out of the way for us but I think we'll make a point of going back. Plus it'll be fun to do a night ride there. @Old dumb arse mentioned rod meets at the Sonic drive-ins. Little Anthony's typically does a whole series of car shows (plus some motorcycles) in the fall when the temps cool down a bit. We'll see if that happens this year.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Oh, boy, @Privateer. I LOVE reuben sandwiches! :grinning::yum My #1 favorite sandwich of all sandwiches is the Everything Reuben at a local place in Tucson called Beyond Bread. They put it on their pretzel bread and they only serve it on Saturdays. Here's a photo of their "everyday" reuben. Now I'm starting to drool! I have a gift card on the counter for Beyond Bread so may need to do an essential run. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Your description of every day feeling like groundhog day hits the nail on the head, Billy! It's a very weird feeling so, yes, was very nice to do something more normal and different from the daily routine of the past two months.

Speaking of a burger & fries, I just had a terrific version of both a few days ago. Our cul-de-sac has turned out to be the perfect outdoor spot to entertain a couple of friends some evenings. There's a restaurant around the corner from us called ZinBurger and burgers are their specialty--and it shows. Yum! So a couple of times we've invited another couple over to our cul-de-sac and gotten curbside takeout at ZinBurger and had a lovely dinner--though socially distanced--in person. It makes us all feel a little more normal and a bit more human again.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Shaun64

Shaun64 Senior Member

Feb 23, 2020
    England
    SandiT. That’s looks like a good night out, i watch a USA tv program called diners drive-ins and dives on the food channel,while watching I always think i could tour America calling in at all those food places on the way,most of the food looks great.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Oops! Forgot to post the photo of the standard reuben sandwich, @Privateer. Here it is...

Screen Shot 2020-05-27 at 3.52.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-27 at 2.19.05 PM.png

• Like Like x 7
  17. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    @Shaun42, I really enjoy Diners, Drive-in, and Dives too! I love Guy Fieri. What a job he has, eh? Restaurants in Tucson have been featured multiple times on the show. Interestingly, although these are great restaurants, they aren't the ones that I'd think would be on this particular show.
    Screen Shot 2020-05-27 at 3.51.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-27 at 3.50.09 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-27 at 3.50.32 PM.png

• Like Like x 4
  18. Old dumb arse

Mar 28, 2020
    KS
    @sand

• Like Like x 1
  19. Old dumb arse

Mar 28, 2020
    KS
    @Sandi T. Did you or Mr Sandi have a root beer or tater tots, not sure if either is available in the UK, or the creme de lay creme, a root beer float.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    We did not, @Old dumb arse, but that's a great question. I love root beer--especially in a "frosty mug" ala A & W in the old days--and tater tots are flippin' awesome! Especially on their own with some ketchup and not on top of a Minnesota "hot dish". Root beer floats are da bomb! :):yum

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1