Tiger 800 SatNav Power Cable

Discussion in 'Tiger / Explorer' started by Biker Jock, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Biker Jock

Biker Jock Senior Member

Nov 16, 2014
    I'm going to fit a TomTom Rider to my Tiger 800. What is the recommended cable to power it from the socket next to the steering yoke - I presume it switches of with the ignition? Am I right in thinking it is a Powerlet socket?

Thanks.

2. roadtrip

roadtrip Member

Oct 27, 2014
    Scotland
    don't know what a powerlet socket is, but that socket is a DIN socket, also called a Hella socket or truck socket (as trucks can't have lighter sockets any more). That socket is unswitched, ie. ON all the time.

on my Tiger800 I had already fitted an optimate lead from the battery to under the pillion seat. So I took my Satnav power source cable under the tank to under the pillion seat, and finished it with an optimate plug. So when I use the Satnav I plug it together under the pillion seat. May sound a bit fiddly but works for me.

On my Newchurch I took a switched source from the horn which is nice and accessible, that may be an option for you if you want a switched source. Note the horn has a switched power side and the earth side is switched by the horn button (on the Newchurch anyway), so you get the power from the horn and find an earth from the frame somewhere convenient (or even from the battery).