Running in?

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Screwball, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    #1 Screwball, Apr 24, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
    So how do you or did you run your new bike engine in?
    Have you ever had to run in an engine?

2 schools of thought..

1, Slow and carefully as per manufacturers recommendation.... Or
    2, Hard and fast as per most race teams....

Me I was careful for the 1st 50 miles then rode it normally.... Not quite either really but accelerating up & down the rev range letting the engine braking slow me down where I could.
    I have used this method on my last 3 or 4 bikes, have had no issues and a good strong engine...

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Read this a number of years ago... Quite interesting... And as he says controversial

2. P19DJG

P19DJG Banned

Mar 16, 2013
    With all rebuilt car & bike engines in the past ive ridden/driven fairly sensible for the first couple of hundered miles, changed the oil & then its game on. Never had one let go on me yet! Regarding new engines.... Thrashed the arse off them from day one..... They come with a warranty! Lol

• Like Like x 2
  3. workshyfop

workshyfop Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Aren't all new engines bench tested first? & most new bikes have rev limiters on them so it's not that easy to take 'em where they're not meant to go. Just ride 'em. :wink:

4. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    My first service is tomorrow and then it's rolling road on Tuesday... Hoping to see what the bike is capable off...
    Engine feels really free already... Just need the new oil?...
    Was always led to believe the first 50-100 miles were the most important...

5. jonny

jonny Active Member

Mar 26, 2013
    sunny cheshire
    think the early Blades worked better and had a few more bhp if thrashed from new. For me I just take it easy for a couple of hundred miles then ride/drive as normal

6. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    Ran my Speed Triple more or less by the book and it goes just fine. If running it in hard was the best thing for your engine then the manufactures would recommend doing just that.

7. JimDiesel

JimDiesel Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Nottingham
    I did it as per the book, my mate didn't, both seem ok but mine was definitely quicker and I'm heavier than him... He also had the arrow low boy where as I had the twin high level twin cans.

Saying that his was a black speed triple and mine is white and we all know white bikes are the quickest!! :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  8. flapinflares

flapinflares Active Member

Jan 12, 2013
    Leiestershire
    The first brand new bike I had was a suzuki bandit in 1999. I picked it up from redcar suzuki and at the end of there road went to pull off. The new gearbox was a bit sticky and I missed a gear. I watched in horror as the rev counter shot round int the red:eek:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    Common knowledge especially if you've owned a Ducati is that the RED ones are the fastest :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  10. workshyfop

workshyfop Member

Feb 26, 2013
    We all know now, you can't break a Bandit, bet that one of yours is still happily running round with a bit of mismatched paintwork, renthals, twin headlamps & a loud can. First new bike I bought was my 400/4, I ran that in carefully, but in those days you had to run in new cars!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    That or you can ride and your mates a pussy...

• Like Like x 2
  12. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    Or they're both pussies but his mate is the bigger pussy? Just sayin'...

• Like Like x 4
  13. JimDiesel

JimDiesel Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Nottingham
    Well I ain't little and he's built like a Brick S**t house, so ill let you tell him... Lol

• Like Like x 1
  14. P19DJG

P19DJG Banned

Mar 16, 2013
    #14 P19DJG, Apr 29, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
    I can remember a few years back when i worked at Vauxhall seeing brand new Cavaliers & Vectras come off the production line & then go on the rolling roads & get hammered within an inch of their lives.
    Some of the lads that worked on the rollers use to bounce the engines off the rev limiter in every gear, all engines from 1.4 to V6 use to get hammered! :eek:

I use to chuckle to myself at the thought that someone will buy one of these cars from their local Vauxhall dealership & drive it carefully to run it in :biggrin: Little did they know that their pride & joy had already done 140+ mph on a rolling road, been wheel spun around & hand brake turned up the storage compound. :smile:

15. SpankyHam

SpankyHam Member

Apr 17, 2013
    Wrexham, North Wales
    I'm with the school of thought that running it in fully is the best way. If a race team thrash it to run it in good for them but Im not a race team I only have one bike and one shot at looking after it.

16. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    Just had mine put on the rolling road and no issues.
    Good spread of power and a 10BHP increase over the bike I took in.... So running in a little hard has not caused me any issues...

• Like Like x 1
  17. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    I would but to be honest, I'm a bit of a pussy! pussy.gif

pussy.gif

• Like Like x 3