Rip Steve Wright

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by RevPaul, Feb 13, 2024.

1. RevPaul

RevPaul Senior Member

Apr 21, 2020
    Cheshire, UK
    #1 RevPaul, Feb 13, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2024
    Wow, really shocked to hear Sara Cox announce Steve’s passing this evening.

Forty years of broadcasting on the radio and for me it’s like he’s always been there. On BBC Radio 1 and then Radio 2 “Steve Wright in the afternoon” has been the sound track of my apprenticeship, my degree, my engineering career and more recently, was always on whenever I was in my home office. Always so warm and encouraging in his style.

My wife met him once when she was a senior staff nurse on the teenage cancer unit in the London Middlesex Hospital. Someone had arranged for him to visit a patient who was a big fan, he’d been in her room for about 15 minutes, chatting and laughing, SWMBO thought there really ought to be a photo of the occasion for the patient to remember the day, she went in to take the photo and Steve roped her into the conversation for another 15 minutes!

He was so mad cap. I’d ’ve loved to hear the Community Social Worker, Sid the manager, Mr Angry, or Ask Elvis:joy: one more time.

Get those geese off!

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. johne

johne Standing on the shoulders of dwarves.

Jan 16, 2020
    Where the Wolds meet the sea
    A great shame, I won't say I grew up listening to him cos I'm not much younger myself, but he was that familiar reassuring voice on the radio that we will all miss. RIP Steve.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    Definitely one of the BBC radio "old guard" and there aren't many of them left unfortunately. Such innovative originality that mad him so much more than just a DJ, very much in the Kenny Everett mould IMO.
    RIP.

• Like Like x 2