Right, tell me what I need to know....the good, the bad & the fugly!

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Crispy, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Crispy

Crispy New Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Derbyshire
    I'm all done! RX is being picked up on Tuesday next week and insurance is all lined up. Evotech tail tidy is in the post and bar end mirrors ordered. Arrow can is being fitted: does the ECU get flashed for this exhaust or does it run on the standard map?

What else as a Triumph virgin do I need to know? My local dealership is Pidcocks Triumph in Long Eaton. I've bought helmets and leathers from them before and the service has always been good. What are they like for the rest? Servicing etc? So far they have been spot on...better than the service from KTM dare I say.

Another question I keep wondering about is the running in of the engine? What's recommended? As per the manufacturer or run it it hard? I've never had a brand new bike before so never had to deal with this and I want to do it right.

...and finally, do any of you play on track? I do a few trackdays and I'm itching for the spring and summer to stretch the RX's legs!

Crispy

2. alfie92

alfie92 Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2015
    Birkenhead Merseyside
    The best way is not to labour the engine ie:20/30 in top gear, don't forget you are the one who is going to pay for pitfalls when the bike gets it's own back for working it hard, treat it like a baby give it time to settle itself in. I have always took it easy for around 1000 miles opening the throttle when on straights and level ground and using the gears when going up hill as long as the engine sounds happy you will happy. Enjoy your ride and take in the scenery, a 1000 miles will soon pass. Take notice of the running in procedure it is there to help you and your new purchase.

• Like Like x 1
  3. DaveTheSuperVillain

DaveTheSuperVillain Active Member

Jun 19, 2015
    Takeley, Essex
    I suspect Triumph will do the same on the Street as the Speed, so there will probably be a 'running in' sticker guide on the tank, which advises the revs permitted up to each mileage bracket. They will also state no full throttle and trying to keep the engine speeds varied as much as possible.

From memory on my Speed its;

3000 up to 300 miles
    5000 up to 600 miles
    6000 up to 1000 miles

Then do as you see fit. Obviously the Street will be a bit different as I'm pretty sure it revs higher.

I just set the shift lights at the limit and increased the setting at each mileage bracket.....used them as "Naughty Naughty, Change Gear lights" so to speak!

I've just got over the 600 mile mark and slowly plodding towards full rev and throttle (not sure they'll be used a lot though). In all honesty with the Arrows on mine, the sounds of slowing down are much more fun than speeding up anyway so I don't see the running in as too much of an issue.....especially at this time of year!

Obviously it's your bike for you to do as you wish, but I'd try an stick to the recommendations.....it'll be far too easy for them to be able to tell if you haven't and they could then easily invalidate your warrenty etc!

As Alfie says, the mileage will soon pass by. Best to be careful at the outset in order to enjoy it longer once fully bedded in!

• Like Like x 1
  4. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Ive heard its good to take the revs up for a short period of time when on the flat.

5. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    forgot to add [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  6. DaveTheSuperVillain

DaveTheSuperVillain Active Member

Jun 19, 2015
    Takeley, Essex
    Like I say, the tank will probably have a sticker akin to this; DSC_9798.JPG

7. Crispy

Crispy New Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Derbyshire
    Perfect, thanks Dave.

Little warning to all forum members: There is going to be loads of stupid questions to come!

8. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    there's a peckin order for stupid questions get behind me to the back of the queue

9. roadrider

roadrider First Class Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    I was told to just ride it normally.
    Don't thrash it or let the engine labour,just wind the throttle on gently.
    Above all use the gears as much as possible,your running the gearbox in as well.
    I've run in my last 2 bikes in like this and had no problems.

10. alfie92

alfie92 Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2015
    Birkenhead Merseyside
    Very good points made there.