Riding with music

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Messyart, Dec 16, 2015.

1. Messyart

Messyart Member

Dec 6, 2015
    Wiltshire
    Heard lots of opinions. I started on a VL 125 and felt sad when I got on my 'murica to hear how sad the stock pipes were so I kept the music in my ears, now my pipes are too loud to hear the music.

I ask it whenever I ride out with people or have time to sit and relax with other riders and I get a very mixed opinion so I expect nothing less here.

Obvious cons include lack of focus (My brain shuts up with music so personally I concentrate better that way) and not hearing when an ambulance is trying to make an easy pass.. (voice of experience..)

Also, what kinda stuff do you listen to if you risk it?

2. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    only just bought a scalarider Q3 and I have tried playing music but I keep it pretty low so its around 30% of level compared to rest of noise and only on motorway.

3. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    I'm not a fan of any kind noises coming through earplugs - music, mobile phone calls, GPS instructions etc.

• Like Like x 1
  4. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Know what you mean biggy, but being self employed I missed out on jobs as I didn't answer my phone while out on the bike and now I can answer it and say I'll phone em straight back! Worked twice so far so those jobs have more than payed for the scala!! And the music is background, sort of disquises the wind noise a bit so not really adding anything extra.

5. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Quite impressed with it tho haven't used it bike to bike or to pillion yet but simple to use and easy to operate.

• Like Like x 1
  6. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    I'm not meaning to tell anyone else what to do you understand Crispey, it's just that, for me, riding in England has enough distractions without self-imposing more. I really enjoy my riding and want to keep doing it - just without accidents if possible.

• Like Like x 1
  7. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Hey biggy I wasn't implying that at all, I would never have music drowning out the natural noises of motorcycling, I like to hear my engine, road noise and other traffic. Probably blocks out less noise than earplugs. And it stops me going through the pain of listening to me singing to myself!

8. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    I know mate and I didn't take it that way, just wanted others to understand my view really, not your good self.

To be honest nowadays the only time I feel fully concentrating is when I'm riding my bike, in my open-face helmet. Driving modern cars everything seems so quiet and insulated from the world I can well understand why some car drivers really "didn't see you" - because they're half asleep. At least I can't do that when I'm riding.

Speaking of which, it's supposed to be dry and sunny (17°c) today so I'm off out - fire up the twin Dave !!!!!!

9. Rooster

Rooster Grumpy Member
    Subscriber

Sep 14, 2015
    Droitwich, Worcestershire
    I listen to music through my Sena S3 headset. It connects via Bluetooth to my Zumo satnav, which in turn connects to my iPhone. I could connect the iPhone directly to the headset but you get a lot more control if you go via the Zumo.

Music wise I'm stuck in the 70's so its Pink Floyd, led Zeplin, Mike Oldfield, Golden Earing. Etc etc. Usually a play list.

I don't find it a distraction to concentration as I have always listened to music in the car. I don't have the volume too loud either so can still hear essential sounds.

10. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Had Q3's for couple years & Q2's before that (still in use by son & partner). Two main uses - sound from Sat-nav & contact with SWMBO who's usually a few hundred yards behind on her Daytona. I think having sat-nav sound instructions is safer than having to keep looking down for them. I still ride with earplugs, only time I'd consider music is long run on motorways but wind noise and poor sound quality make it a bit pointless, so usually don't bother. Also linked them to mobiles but would only use that to contact the mlsses if we got seperared beyond radio range.
    For me bluetooth comms is the ideal compromise, the Rolls-Royce approach of Autocomm with all its boxes and wires is too much hassle. KISS (Keep it simple stupid)