Rich Running T509

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Trumpeteer, Jun 25, 2023.

1. Trumpeteer

Trumpeteer New Member

Jun 25, 2023
    Suffolk
    #1 Trumpeteer, Jun 25, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2023
    I'm desperately in need of some help with my T509, I'm at the end of my tether and ready to give up on it. So far, since May I've had to have recovery out for the same issue three times, the bike failed to start after stopping for fuel or a coffee etc.and left me stranded.

A few hundred miles before I bought the bike it went to a mechanic for "poor running/starting" and had;
    Fuel tank drained
    Fuel filler cap drain holes blocked - drilled out
    Fuel filter changed
    New plugs
    Fuel pipe cracked and replaced.

A few hundred miles prior to that, new vacuum hoses were fitted, throttle bodies were balanced and "mixture reset".

Looking through the history, over the past 4 or 5 years, it's had new plugs every 800 miles or so and there are various comments about poor running and starting and running rich.

I bought the bike with 16800 miles on it in March this year and sent her straight off to have the valves checked. At the same time she had new plugs, oil, oil filter and air filter, injectors cleaned, throttle bodies checked.

Typically the bike will start fine, run perfectly for say, half an hour or so then I'd stop for maybe 10 minutes and she would fire up or she might not. Sometimes when she would fire back up she would run until I stopped again, it's always just a matter of time.

I've changed the CPS, the battery and remapped to map 9853 (was running the standard 9852 map) via TuneEcu to match the low level TOR exhaust that was fitted when I bought the bike.

The last time was a few days ago, rode for 30 minutes, stopped for 20 minutes and was all good. Rode for another 30 minutes and stopped to get fuel and although struggled, she did fire up and run fine. Rode for another 10 minutes utes, stopped for 20 minutes and she fired up but was on 2 cylinders, blip the throttle and she'd almost stall but I made it the short ride home by with lots of pops, bangs and backfiring. Checked the plugs and all three are black.

Sorry for the long rambling post but I've tried to include everything in one go, although I have probably missed stuff!

TuneEcu flags up no faults, and the issue arises whether the fuel cap is open or closed, clutch lock out switch is fine as is the neutral and side stand.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. Especially if you made it this far.

2. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    #2 Eldon, Jun 26, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2023
    I don't know the T509 model as such as I've never worked on one but..... Could it be a faulty temperature sender telling the ecu to go on to "choke" when the bike is already warm?
    This would give the symptoms you mentioned above.

3. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    Looks like you have done pretty much everything. When my iacv hoses were changed by my mechanic, the bike started and ticked over well but when I rode away it was unrideable, popping, banging, no power. Went straight back to the garage and he had done something wrong with the hoses (don't know if he put them on wrong, he didn't say) but the bike was fine and has been since. Are they original parts with valves or silicone/fuel pipe, they may have kinked and blocked up or incorrectly fitted.Worth a look.

4. Trumpeteer

Trumpeteer New Member

Jun 25, 2023
    Suffolk
    Hi Eldon, thanks for the reply. The OBD / software isn't flagging any sensor faults. The fan kicks in as it should and the software gives an increasing / decreasing temp. I'm starting to think the only temperature it'll be reading soon is when I set fire to the bloody bike.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Trumpeteer

Trumpeteer New Member

Jun 25, 2023
    Suffolk
    #5 Trumpeteer, Jun 26, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2023
    I'm not sure if these are Triumph one's or aftermarket but they look pretty new and are in good nick

Screenshot_20230626_115024_Messenger.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Trumpeteer

Trumpeteer New Member

Jun 25, 2023
    Suffolk
    So a few things that I've found. The thermostat to expansion tank hose was routed wrong and was badly kinked and was pinched between the frame and the tank. I've not got a photo but I took a video of the airbox just resting on top of the throttle bodies and not secured. The fuel pump housing seal although not leaking appears to be the original one by the look of it which is incredible when you see the debris inside the tank which the previous owner, only 800 miles ago paid to be drained and cleaned and the fuel filter replaced. Why on earth the pump, hose and seal weren't done at the same time is beyond me. Finally, one of the breather / drain hoses from the base of the tank is blocked. Again, the previous owner paid to have the drain holes unblocked and "drilled out". I'm sure all of these things aren't helping the issues I'm experiencing with the bike.

IMG-20230626-WA0001.jpeg

received_2529305900557481.jpeg

received_1680463962452882.jpeg

received_921957178865610.jpeg

received_1013240293112382.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1