Replacing Rider Footboards With Footrests

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by Rockabilly, Jun 4, 2023.

1. Rockabilly

Rockabilly New Member

Aug 30, 2021
    Kent UK
    So I've just bought a 2010 America so that my missus can ride safely on the back (she has a degenerative illness so keeping her riding with me was important as she's had to give up her own chop.) So question I have is this. The model I bought has footboards and the stupid heel toe gear change, which actually fouls my boot heel. So I'm gonna change them back to footrests and a standard gear change. BUT does anyone know if the footrest link bar and the footboard link bar are the same, will the footrest brackets fit the footboard link bar?

2. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    #2 Wire-Wheels, Jun 4, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2023
    They use the same rod on the old air cooled 790/865 version. I did a custom, heel/toe setup on mine some years back. I made a custom rod, that is longer for mine, to lower the heel and not use the floorboards. ...J.D. Heel_Toe Shifter.JPG

3. Rockabilly

Rockabilly New Member

Aug 30, 2021
    Kent UK
    That looks workable, just interested if the link bar across the bike is the same as they have different part nos (which means naff all) but I guess I should be able to adapt whatever - the heel change has to go as my foot simply doesn't fit on the board - so first stage gear pedal and then decide if pegs replace boards!

4. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    Well, if they have different part #s, they are obviously not the same. Mine is the early America. I know there are some differences between my 2002 and the later ones. The standard shifter should fit where the heel toe/lever was. Maybe they did it different on the later model. I know the later heel/toe shifter had a different part# that the early one. I got a bit creative with mine because I wanted the heel/toe but not the boards. I machined up a new, longer shift rod on my lathe and removed the stop on the lever assembly so I could get the toe higher and the heel lower. These are the creative times when you are on your own. I wish you well with this. ...J.D.