765 Real Suspension Issues

Discussion in 'Street Triple' started by DRH13, Jul 30, 2024.

1. DRH13

DRH13 New Member

Jul 30, 2024
    London
    Wow on the brink of trading in !!
    I have a brand new 765 RS I’ve covered 500 miles service next week,full system being fitted following week,then off on a 3000 mile trip well that’s what I thought
    What the heck is going on with the suspension,I have tried pretty much all the settings in the manual, all feel very much the same
    The front just vibrates and unless the surface is glass perfect it’s like going over a wash board,and the rear ?
    I’m on a rodeo !
    Surely this isn’t right
    I previously had a 2015 street triple and a Daytona moto 2 765 had none of this
    What am I doing wrong !,
    It’s a great bike I love it although it’s just not happening I did 120 odd miles today and couldn’t wait to get home
    Not how a new bike should feel
    Do I need to fork springs ……
    Really appreciate your views comments and Help
    Many Thanks

2. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    What is your weight bike ready?

Have you set the static sag?

3. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Mrs Visor took hers to SWB Racing and had it set up, completely transformed the bike......best £65 spent ;)

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. emile mullick

emile mullick New Member

Jan 2, 2024
    california
    Something is very wrong. How much do you weigh? Have you read the owner's manual and tried the adjustments? Has the dealer set the bike up for you? What is the name of your dealer? Have you contacted Triumph?

5. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Hi and sorry to hear about the suspension, firstly the 765RS is hard on the suspension at factory settings as the machine is set up for fast road and track days, these are worked out as a rider average, usually around the 11 stone mark, although the bike should not handle the way you describes, so something is badly amiss, you say you have re adjusted the suspension as per the manual, this only gives you a small operating window for adjusting the compression and rebound, however you also need to adjust the spring preload and for this you need a C spanner to unlock the rings. Firstly place the front and rear suspension back to zero, then adjust both the rebound and compression at 24 clicks. Triumph say 20 for comfort, however I have found 24 gives a much smoother ride. Triumph also say do not adjust the preload as it may result in negative handling, personally from experience this is not the case at all, I have adjusted mine and it handles superb, the RS is one of the easiest road bike suspensions to adjust, you will need someone to assist when calculating the sag (it is just compression of the shock). Start by fully extending the rear suspension, you do this by lifting the bike by hand with the suspension fully extended, use a tape measure from the centre of the axle to a fixed point directly above, the subframe is ideal, and write the measurement down, then measure the amount of sag there is with you sat on the machine, the ideal starting point for suspension sag is about 30% of the extended length, if this is less than that you will need to reduce the amount of preload on the shock, If it is more you will need to increase the amount of preload, this is when you need the C spanner to turn the retaining collar on the shock in the appropriate direction to achieve the amount of desired preload, turning the collar down increases the preload and reduces the amount of sag, likewise turning the collar upwards reduces the preload and increases the sag, and do it until you reach the desired amount of sag. As an example with 9 inches of travel you should have 3 inches of sag. It sounds a dark art adjusting suspension however it is far from the truth. At one time I used to think the same, however a friend who works for a team in BSB on suspension showed me how to set one up, race bike suspension is a little more complicated to set up, but for the road it is straightforward. On your question of putting on aftermarket suspension for front/rear on the RS, then personally I would say not, as I did just that, I bought a K Tech rear shock and front fork kit, having tried the rear unit I concluded it offered no advantage in normal road riding than the Ohlins, yes the front will benefit from different springs, oil etc, but you have to way that as a cost V benefit. This may sound strange, but check the 2 suspension link bolts are torqued correctly before anything, and likewise the top mounting bolt, it may be a faulty rear Ohlins unit, rare as this is it could be, and the machine should be returned to the dealer you bought it from, requesting a technician take it out for a test ride to confirm. Hope this helps from an ageing Rocker.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. DRH13

DRH13 New Member

Jul 30, 2024
    London

7. DRH13

DRH13 New Member

Jul 30, 2024
    London
    What a wonderful response,thank you