Proud new owner of a 2012 Bonneville

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Yaya rider, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Yaya rider

Yaya rider Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Essex
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Hi all

Just took delivery today of my 2012 Bonnie. Can't wait to ride her (less looking forward to keeping her clean!)

I'm still quite new to riding, 30 years old and been riding an old steelie CBR. It's a great bike and I've done a few track days, but the bike can do so much more than I can or want. I did a trip to Scotland this year on it with the CBR forum. Had a great time on amazing roads (the beef tub :0) but riding home to Essex I just wanted something more comfortable.

I've always liked Bonnies, and this cropped up a few weeks ago. Getting married this year, so Mrs Yaya gave me permission to get my dream bike!

Looking forward to trips to cafe's, Sunday blasts and touring with SWMBO.

Gonna have to buy a load of new gear though, will look out of place in my race leathers!!!

Here's a few pics. No doubt i'll be search for technical help on the site...weekend job is to order a Haines manual!!

2. Yaya rider

Jan 23, 2016
    Essex
    Cheers half ton!

I did 1400 miles in 3 days on my 1995 cbr....that was uncomfortable to say the least!

Thanks for the advice, did a bit of research before hand,it's certainly a planned upgrade! But a low wide seat....will be a lovely change! And the missus even wants to get on the back!

3. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hello Yaya and welcome in to the Triumph Playground. Very nice looking bike and excellent quality pics.

4. Clarkey

Clarkey Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    Welcome to the forum enjoy

5. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Hi yaya welcome in, nice bike and ready to go anywhere! There's a few lads down Essex way so you'll not be alone.

6. H.O.

H.O. Noble Member

Nov 28, 2015
    ARDROSSAN, AYRSHIRE
    Hi Yaya, welcome to the gang, dont forget the Easter Monday Southend bike meet, I'm hoping to get down so look out for a red HX03 Bonnie parked up and say hello.

7. Sceptic Al

Sceptic Al Well-Known Member

Hiya Yaya. Welcome, nice machine with plenty of shiny stuff to polish. Enjoy.

8. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Welcome yaya and that colour scheme is a real 'Night at the ball, black tie look ', it truly looks elegant. Eric

9. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Hi and welcome to the forum. Nice bike but the stock seat is a ball breaker after about 3 hours!

10. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    But more so the rear boing boing boingers!!

11. PETER CLARKE

PETER CLARKE Senior Member

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    yaya you lucky bugger:)

12. Yaya rider

Jan 23, 2016
    Essex
    Cheers all, love the thing already, however, my first ride out was eventful. Charged her all night on the trickle charger, started fine, took her out, filled her up, and then she wouldn't start back up. Not enough battery to turn over. Managed to bump her after several attempts and with help of a friend. Got her home, and she wouldn't start again.

Checked the voltage, was 12.6v when she was off with the alarm on, but as soon as i turn the ignition on it dropped to 10v, and rapidly dropped when I tried to start her.

I put a battery on from my Dad's Fireblade and she started no problem. Checked the volts, it was showing 13v+ so I don't think it's a charging issue (but happy to be told otherwise).

Tried my battery on the fire blade and there wasn't enough to turn it over.

So, new battery about to be ordered - I'll take a quick look on the forum to see if there's any recommendations but I'm assuming it needs to be pretty heavy duty compared to the blade.

But she was lovely for those 15 minutes I was on her!!

13. stollydriver

stollydriver Elite Member

Apr 25, 2015
    north wales
    Welcome to the forum, look after your misses - got a good one there by the sound of it.

14. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Yuasa YT12-BS from memory

• Like Like x 1
  15. PETER CLARKE

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    #15 PETER CLARKE, Jan 31, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
    This battery must be under warranty I would get bike back to dealer,did you by from a dealer ??

16. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Got a Motobatt on my Trident which seems to be surviving its fist winter of idleness in grand style!:)

Go for a battery with a high CCA (Cold Cranking Amps I do believe) which will find spinning the engine over well within its limitations:cool:. Mine has a CCA 190 rating and spins the engine over very easily (it also has an almost exact equivalent from the Yuasa stable), so get the best you can.:D

Oh, and welcome!:p

17. PETER CLARKE

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    The seat looks so right for this bike more padding may change the look ? just a opinion.

18. H.O.

H.O. Noble Member

Nov 28, 2015
    ARDROSSAN, AYRSHIRE
    I can vouch for the Triumph King & Queen seat, but comes with a hefty price tag @ £250!
    Luckily mine came on the bike.
    Some times they come up on fleeBay, but not too often unfortunately.

19. Yaya rider

Jan 23, 2016
    Essex
    Sadly not Peter, bought second hand - will be ordering a new battery today. Found a Yuasa with 210a CCA which seems higher than most.

Been looking on the forums this morning and now scaring myself over starting issues if the battery volts are too low - I guess only time will tell! I have an alarm on it, and I don't fancy being stranded when I go away!!

H.O - cheers, will bear that I mind, but at the moment it feels like I'm sitting on a cloud compared to the CBR!

20. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Yaya, when ordering batteries for your bike have a care, because the battery size was changed/enlarged. So if I were you I would be checking the physical dimensions of your existing battery and checking against any new ones you might be ordering.

Example : on my 2010 T100 the battery was as per the number I quoted, but on newer machines it is physically bigger.

• Like Like x 1