Problem Fitting Rear Exhaust To X-pipe

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by John Dillon, Sep 26, 2023.

1. John Dillon

John Dillon New Member

Jul 14, 2019
    Bologna
    I'm having problems fitting the rear exhaust pipe to the x-pipe on my Thruxton R. No matter how much I tighten the bracket, it doesn't secure the pipe. I tried fitting the exhaust pipe to the old catalyser but I'm having the same issue. Also does anyone know what the protruding piece of wire welded to the side of the exhaust is? It looks like a spacer. Thanks for any help

16957475658457118696478038238990.jpg

2. Dave Roxburgh

Dave Roxburgh Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2019
    Suffolk
    EDIT: Sorry - the post below is completely irrelevant to your bike! Just looked at the picture again and they're entirely different.

Does the clamp have any material inside it? Maybe there was a (lead?) gasket in there that needs replacing??

=========

2019 Thruxton 1200 R:

Hmm, I had the exact same problem today, as it happens. Mine looks a bit different to yours though - 2019 Thruxton 1200 R

When I'd done the hanger bolt up and the can-to-middle pipe clamp up, the can would wobble left-to-right.

It was caused by the end of the can (the bit that the clamp squeezes) being a bit deformed and so the clamp wasn't tightening it up enough.

I took the clamp off and put a bit of grease on the thread - so that all the torque on the clamp nut would get translated into the clamp squeezing the connection (rather than the clamp nut binding on the thread).

I also made sure that the clamp was square on the pipe, rather than at an angle. And I made sure that the end of the clamp and the end of the pipe it squeezes were flush - if the clamp is too far away from the end it will be on the part that won't compress, no matter how hard it squeezes.

With that, I did it up to a reasonable torque (i.e. I didn't have to over-do it). And that succeeded in securing the can - no more wobble.

In other words - don't go suspecting the can-to-footrest support bracket fixing - that only supports the can vertically, it doesn't stop it moving left-to-right. Having that bottom clamp done up tight is what stops the can wobbling left-to-right.

Dave

3. John Dillon

John Dillon New Member

Jul 14, 2019
    Bologna
    No probs Dave,
    You're right, it was a gasket issue. When I dismantled the old catalyser the gaskets had welded themselves to the old cat so I assumed it was just one part. it's only when I checked on a parts list a couple of days ago that I realised the problem. I reckon I need to get myself a workshop manual next time I decide to do any work on my bike. Thanks for taking the time, very much appreciated