Pillion On Speedy (1050) + Custom Paint Job

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Leech, Oct 4, 2021.

1. Leech

Leech New Member

Aug 12, 2021
    North Devon
    So I've sorted my 2018 1050 speedy (it has to be noted is an R in Dark Edition) with a pillion seat, foot pegs, grab rail - the lot.

I can see a potential issue with this though - Dark edition has got matt black & red tail panels, so am concerned about the longevity of the paint there, so I was hoping you guys can either get me out of my worries or scare the sh1t out of me. Here's what's on my mind:

1) has anyone seen any wear on the tail side panels (using Triumph stock seat, stock pegs and Triumph grab rail )? My missus is around 5'2" and whilst I think the legs have enough clearance (the calves are a bit close) I'm also concerned over the movement around the grab rail.

2) has anyone been doing any custom paint jobs on Triumphs with Matt paint? can you recommend anyone? if 1 is an issue, then I'm thinking of whipping out some cash for spare side panels and:- either
    a) mirroring the current finish on them (I'd prefer not to send them out in the world though)
    b) keep it simple (depending on confidence level in the paint shop, and get them to spray in 1 solid color match ed to the matt black

3) is there a place that sells 1050 R Dark spares? I'm yet to find one - only 50 made, so I doubt they made any spares unique to this edition.

This would be a spare set put only on few occasions in a year to preserve the originals during the few hour rides so I don't want to break the bank with it (I know there's loads of talented top tier paint shops there which are few tiers above the regular crown which i what leaning towards more in this case)

It may be just my paranoia and endless drive to preserve my precious possessions LOL but there's probably a few of you out there with same approach who can appreciate my concern.