Oiled Air Filters Appear To Be Rubbish

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by covid-21, Dec 4, 2020.

1. covid-21

covid-21 Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2020
    QLD Australia
    #1 covid-21, Dec 4, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
    I'll need to put a new air filter on soon and at the rate I would be using them it appears that the OEM filter is beginning to look expensive compared to reusable. I was looking at DNA or BMC because I really do not like the shoddy way that K&N dealt with me when I bought one of their shitty filters for a Suzuki S40 that didn't fit at all and I had to return it. Meantime I was using paper OEM on the gf's S40.

However now I have a Street Twin and I'm putting enough miles on her to warrant the expense of an oiled filter, but I found out that BMC also do a paper OEM replacement as well as their oiled cotton mesh and it's half the price of the Triumph OEM, so that makes it not really worth the expense and hassle of an oiled filter.

While I was doing a search for comparisons with BMC and OEM filters I came across this recent youtube video that compares an OEM paper filter vs two different oiled filters. It's not super scientific they just pour some sand and some iron onto the filters and give them a bit of a tap. So sure this is not really like actual use conditions, having said that though the results do give one pause.

My normal common sense told me that there's something dodgy looking about the oiled filters because at the point where they fold that is the bit that would get the fastest velocity air, why would the air be forced through the sides of the pleats? It seems to me that along the folds the filter should be sealed so that air is forced in through the walls of the pleats which is the largest surface area anyway. That's just how it seems to me. But the video below makes that irrelevant.

After seeing this, I'll be sticking with paper.

EDIT: I just found this video which seems to confirm the above results in an actual real world test. What if funny/sad/whatever is that it has 320 likes and nearly 500 thumbs down. Looks like a lot of K&N butthurt going on.

Another EDIT: this pretty well puts the nail in the coffin for oiled filters. When I saw they were using flour instead of fine sand I was expecting the K&N to do well because the particles are so light and more easier to stick to the oil. The result is LOL frightening. Even with flour the oiled filter was shite by a long long margin.

Better air flow with the oiled air filter but it only keeps out gravel and small birds.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    covid-21
    A filter is a filter and does the job it supposed to do so as long as you are changing it at the advised intervals your bike will love you. I myself do use the K & N in all my bikes and am reasonably happy but I will reoil or exchange at the intervals like your self.
    jOE.

• Like Like x 1
  3. covid-21

covid-21 Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2020
    QLD Australia
    Doesn't fine grit getting through the oiled filter bother you?

• Like Like x 2
  4. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Covid-21
    Never thought about it till you brought it up. But I will have a good look now.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1