Oil - The Good, The Bad And The Ugly

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Red Thunder, Apr 24, 2021.

1. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    #1 Red Thunder, Apr 24, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2021
    Just reading up on what to use, I have been using the same type for such a long time but wanted to find out if it really is the best quality or best value

So, there are three main types to use, plus some speciality ones if you have the money

I have usually gone for what I thought was a good balance of quality and value, but there are definitely ones to avoid

So, when frying at a high heat, the better one is sunflower oil, its smoke point is higher (smoking oil is bad as this is when it releases free radicals which are toxic), retains its nutrients and is good value
    It is usually not so highly processed

Vegetable oil is the worse, highly processed, few nutrients and cheap for a reason
    Manufacturers can use any vegetable based source and not change the label

The best is olive oil, preferably extra virgin oil as this has all the goodness an oil can give you. Being extra virgin means it is cold pressed and retains its nutrients and fatty acids that you need
    But, it does have a low smoking point, not good for high temp frying, but okay for baking and excellent in salads. (USA) olive oils have been found to not be as labelled and highly processed or including cheaper oils, check the labels

Nut based oils are good, but expensive. Sesame, walnut and peanut are good with strong flavour, divine in salads, not so much for frying chips

Coconut oil has a lot of online press detailing it's virtues and benefits but these are not backed with scientific evidence. The fatty acids can be very bad for you if eaten in excess or even just daily.

So, avoid vegetable oil. Use sunflower for high temp frying, use olive oil for baking, and low temp cooking and salads, use nut oils for something unique and avoid coconut.

But my question is, can the used old oil to lube my chain?

2. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    What about corn oil? I like to use corn oil for deeper frying.

I like to rub my chain with my used sausage oil.

• Funny Funny x 4
  3. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    Best high temperature oil is rice bran, has a nice subtle flavour. :p I reuse the cooking oil for oiling the BBQ and my outdoor fire (great for preserving rusty surfaces). :cool:

4. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    You talk about vegetable oil but if you look at the label, it is usually rapeseed oil. Now personally I like a bit of rape oil. Obviously a cold pressed bit of rape oil is best but if you're not too fussed or on a budget, rape oil as veg oil might do.

5. Old dumb arse

Old dumb arse Noble Member

Mar 28, 2020
    KS
    Virgin cold pressed babies make the best oil:p

6. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    Whale oil. Be damned.

• Funny Funny x 2