Oil Leaking From Left Fork At 1200 Miles.

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by MotoMick, Dec 21, 2023.

1. MotoMick

MotoMick New Member

Feb 7, 2022
    USA
    So, my 2022 T100 left fork has a film of oil on the stanchion. The oil is not running down the fork lower, not yet anyway. Bike is still under warranty, but Triumph considers fork seals a wear item - no warranty. Bike has 1200 easy road miles on it. If you run our finger over the stanchion, you come up with a film of oil on your finger. I am guessing some dirt or debris got wiped into the seal when riding.

Anybody else have a similar issue? Dealer advised to just keep an eye on it til next service. If you had a similar issue, did it get worse? Would you go ahead and have the forks rebuilt right away, or wait? Pretty expensive repair labor wise.

2. Iron

Iron Elite Member

Dec 29, 2021
    Bob Ross Studios
    #2 Iron, Dec 21, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2023
    Try one of these

forkseal cleaner.jpg

They are really expensive for what they are - a thin piece of plastic about as long as your hand. Cut one out of a plastic milk carton and it will do the same job.
    Run it into the fork seal and round the stanchion. It'll pull out any small bit stuck in there making the seals weep. If it doesn't work then all it's cost you is an empty milk carton.
    There'll be some instructions on Mr Google and Youtube I expect.
    A weeping fork seal wont hurt anything other than you wiping it now and again. Wait until the next service and get the non leaky seals inserted (I assume you can get them for the new tinny Triumphs like the vintage ones).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    There are Youtube videos showing how to do this.

4. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    The forks on these are quite low tech and easy to work on. Change the seals and fit some period looking gaiters at the same time, like those fitted to the Street Scrambler.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Marco Wikstrom

Sep 28, 2023
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    #5 Marco Wikstrom, Dec 21, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2023
    Hopefully there's no damage to the slider causing the leak. If so, then you might be able to carefully sand it down with fine emory cloth. If you're lucky it might just be dried bug guts or dirt that needs to be cleaned out.

The blue Motion Pro thing is less likely to break when you pull it out, but before they invented it I used to use a strip of 35mm film to do the same, but there's a little more risk of breaking a piece off.

Then if all goes well, install rubber bellows type fork boots or neoprene protectors so it doesn't happen again.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    I'm often doing the above on our offroad bikes and it usually works, but not always obviously.
    Weirdly the offroad bikes usually leak after a prolonged lay off then first time out, than when in regular use, it must be crud festering under the seal despite the bikes being put away clean.