Oil leak

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by T-Bird Rob, May 31, 2014.

1. T-Bird Rob

T-Bird Rob Member

Apr 30, 2014
    Put 300 km on the T-Bird 1600 ABS today and half way through noticed a patch of oil under the bike, back of the engine. Located a rubber hose dripping with oil above the leak... is this a crankcase breather hose? Why would it leak oil after a 150 km run on a medium hot day... any ideas... similar experiences out there?

2. SteveJ

SteveJ Super Moderator

Aug 12, 2013
    North Hampshire
    Maybe it's pretending to be an Meridian Triumph instead :biggrin:(sorry couldn't resist)

If it's still under warranty get it to a dealer to check it Rob just to make sure it is okay :upyeah:

Take it that its a bit warmer your way now then.

Cheers

Steve

3. T-Bird Rob

T-Bird Rob Member

Apr 30, 2014
    Thanks Steve - appointment on Tuesday - still under warranty - yup... shades of Meriden T100

Regards,

Rob

4. T-Bird Rob

T-Bird Rob Member

Apr 30, 2014
    Got the T-Bird back from the dealer today - oil leak, reported on in an earlier post, came from the gas tank overflow vent tube. Oil (according the to the tech) was "probably manufacturing oil that can come out of this tube if one spills fuel around the tank cap when filling".

This doesn't make a lot of sense to me however, since the bike has only 1000 km on it, and since I have overfilled the tank at least once (they are a bitch to fill - slow is the key), and since it has happened only once...well, that's their story and they are sticking to it. Hey, it's under warranty and I have reported and recorded the problem, so....

Just for forum Thunderbird 1600 ABS riders' information, the Triumph first service was $232.00 (126 British pounds). $26.72 of the total was for tax.