Not good !!

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by Wide, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Wide

Wide Member

Feb 7, 2016
    Cardiff
    Well that didnt turn out as planned. Ive done the seat and still my Speedmaster is an implement of torture to me after a max of 50 miles in one go. I have therefore , decided to put it up for sale and get something that I find comfy. Really hacked off, as to go through the whole selling thing is a pita, and I bloody love just rolling the bike out the garage and looking at it, but I cant afford for it to be an ornament. Gutted..... not sure whats next.... once it sells

2. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Loads of test rides mate, that's whats next. Really sorry to hear it ,Wide, shes a lovely looking bike

3. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    That's a bit sad Wide - and a pain to go through the process of selling. But if it's not working for you, then she has to go.

4. Sceptic Al

Sceptic Al Well-Known Member

Hi Wide, a bit drastic but, if it don't fit you can't wear it. Best of luck with the hunt for a new steed.
    Personally I find my Speedmaster just the job for a leisurely run round the Lake District. With a standard seat a 100 miles is about the comfort limit none stop but it can be stretched out by regular leg stretch/brew stops.

5. Wide

Wide Member

Feb 7, 2016
    Cardiff
    I guess I just dont get along with my feet being forward. The next bike I have will definately have mid mounted "traditional " foot position and a test ride will be for more than 50 miles !

6. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    what about a peg relocation kit??

7. Sceptic Al

Sceptic Al Well-Known Member

Before you take a leap of faith have you checked out Norman Hyde's web site, they do a kit that moves the pegs back 4 inches or so, costs approx £300 though and it still might not work for you. I think Scoot has fitted one on his ride.
    Good hunting anyway.

8. Wide

Wide Member

Feb 7, 2016
    Cardiff
    Hmm the only thing about that is it could be an expensive mod to then find the seat to peg then feels pretty cramped, with it being a lower seat height

9. roadrider

roadrider First Class Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    It's a good time of year for roadtests.
    Ride anything that takes your fancy :D

10. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Shame to hear.
    Test Rode new Africa twin last week, very nice bike, might be my next in a couple of years time. Go try, be hard not to like.

11. Wide

Wide Member

Feb 7, 2016
    Cardiff
    Ha if I was going to get an @ it would be the original

12. Scoot65

Scoot65 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2015
    DURHAM
    As Sceptic Al mentioned, here's my thread regarding the Norman Hyde foot peg relocation kit….

http://thetriumphforum.co.uk/threads/fitted-footpeg-relocation-kit-to-my-speedmaster…….5666/

And the thread about me swapping the stock risers for later risers which bring the bars up and back about 2"

http://thetriumphforum.co.uk/threads/swapped-stock-2005-risers-for-newer-model-risers.5427/

Due to having 29" inside leg, doing the work above have made the Speedmaster feel a lot more comfortable

Maybe worth considering??

13. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Sorry to hear that mate but unless you can modify it to your satisfaction it ain't going to work. Even the infamous stock Bonnie seat was good for over 100 miles. I've never even sat on a cruiser style bike but I can't imagine I would be comfortable with that feet forward - slight lean back position as I occasionally suffer from lower back pain and my Harley riding mates have both complained about it.

14. Wide

Wide Member

Feb 7, 2016
    Cardiff
    #14 Wide, Apr 12, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
    I had considered rather than relocating pegs, that a footboard kit would help as it gives you a larger platform to move feet back maybe.I also thought that a seat with a backrest to lean against would help massively but are they available for Speedmasters. And a small screen to avoid windblast to the chest as it gets worse when trying to hold 70+ mph ?? But its hard to justify spending large sums of money to no benefit if none of them worked. Its better to change bike I feel but this one has to sell first and I wonder how long this could take. While Im waiting I will give it some short rides to see if it can change

15. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Have you considered putting it up for sale on here? Costs nothing and no downside just to test the market?

16. Wide

Wide Member

Feb 7, 2016
    Cardiff
    weird day today. I took the bike to work... no airhawk on, new refurb'd seat kept it below 60 mph and it all felt really comfy. Admittedly not a long run, only 15 miles each way but wondering if wind blast is causing the problem, as its all so easier at lower speed. I couldnt stop looking at the bike also and realise selling it is gutting me.

• Like Like x 1
  17. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Next step go for longer ride keeping her under 60mph. If all is ok then start looking at screens! I hope it might be as simple as that.

18. Wide

Wide Member

Feb 7, 2016
    Cardiff
    Definately worth a shot... hopefully as it makes a whole load easier to my life keeping a bike I love the look of

• Like Like x 2
  19. Fleece

Fleece New Member

Mar 16, 2016
    Try a 1050 tiger , great riding position.

20. Fleece

Fleece New Member

Mar 16, 2016
    Try a 1050 tiger . Great riding position . Ive only had my speedmaster about 2 months and feel i may have the same problem. Ill give it a chance though