No Electrical Power On 2016 Bonneville T100

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Scott K, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Scott K

Scott K New Member

Aug 6, 2020
    Missouri, USA
    I have a 2016 Bonneville T100 EFI. Yesterday, I started the bike, put it in gear, and had just twisted the throttle when it died. After that, I have no (zero, nil, nada) electrical power. It’s like the ignition switch isn’t on. I’ve checked the following, to no avail.

1. Battery checked with multimeter, fully charged.
    2. Every single fuse I could find, continuity when checked with multimeter.
    3. Opened the ignition switch to look for corrosion, burnt contacts. Looked fine, but cleaned to shiny copper and reassembled, still nothing.
    4. I toggled the kill switch like a thousand times to be sure I wasn’t an idiot.

So when I turn the ignition to on, nothing happens. No instrument lights, no fuel pump whir, no headlight or any lights. Nothing at all.

I am a couple of hours from my dealer, so I’m trying to figure out of this is a problem others have had with an easy fix, or some sort of head scratcher.

I spent some time on Google, but I didn’t find any posts with zero electrical power. I apologize if this is a solved problem and I should have looked harder.

2. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    You have a multimeter - great. You need to check systematically where you DO have power from +be terminal to the ignition switch feed (brown) and onwards. You also need to check earth continuity. If you think of the problem like plumbing, something somewhere is inhibiting the flow. Double check Fuse 11.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Scott K

Scott K New Member

Aug 6, 2020
    Missouri, USA
    Oh my goodness, do I feel stupid. It definitely helped knowing that the brown wire was battery voltage. As I was tracing it, I noticed that the positive battery terminal screw was a little loose. I tightened it down and voila. Lights, whir, action!

Sometimes you think you are being careful, and you really do need a stranger to tell you to be more careful.

Thanks for your help!

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    99.9% of my expertise is derived from similar eureka moments when my own stupidity made itself known to me :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1