Newbie from Plymouth

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Pottsy, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Pottsy

Pottsy Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2016
    Plymouth, UK
    Hello
    My name is Gary (known as Pottsy for too many years), I currently ride an SE Bonneville on a 62 plate which I named 'Jess' after our gold winner from 2012 Olympics. She will not be with me for much longer as I have deposit on Thruxton R and a sales representative from Triumph has said that the T 120 will be more suitable for me as most of my riding is done with my pillion wife. He is probably right but the Thruxton is so good looking and I'm wondering now if it can be made more comfortable for two. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

• Like Like x 1
  2. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    the way to make a Thruxton more comfortable for 2 is to buy a tiger as well and let her sit on the back of that!
    Oh and welcome in Gary, not jealous at all, of the bike that is.

seriously, to make the thruxton comfy for 2 up you will have to see if a street twin or bonnie seat will go on for starters and maybe raise the bars a bit.

Oh and welcome in BTW

• Like Like x 1
  3. Pottsy

Pottsy Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2016
    Plymouth, UK
    Hi Crispey
    Budget won't go to a tiger as well, and also being only 5 foot she will struggle to mount the said bike, if you catch my drift.
    On the Thruxton they do a dual comfort seat, but my sales guy who has ridden the R over in Portugal says it really is only a singal seater and the real problem is rider foot peg position, which because it is set back gets in the way of the rear pegs. And Triumph seam very reluctant to make it a dual rider bike. Whether it is because iam having one of the first ones ( due in may ) not sure if they want it going around two up!!!!!
    The whole reason for me going Thruxton is those brakes, as you would know its a big ask to stop quick on a standard bonnie two up.

4. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    welcome in Gary,i think if it was me and my wife was on the back most of the time i would go with the T120 and see if i could upgrade the brakes,i agree the thruxton is a cool looking bike though..what a nice dilemma :)

5. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Yep go 120 and mod it then, maybe you'll be able to fiddle around with it to make it more cafe racer style too. I've got an ironing board seat for my Thrux and flipping the bars round makes it into a Bonnie, perfect for 2 up riding, shhhh! Don't tell the missus!!

6. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Hi and welcome to the forum.
    Love crispeys comment - I applied the same principle and found that the best way to keep a Bonneville clean was to buy a Trident 900.

• Like Like x 1
  7. alfie92

alfie92 Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2015
    Birkenhead Merseyside
    Welcome Gary

8. PETER CLARKE

PETER CLARKE Senior Member

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    Crispey has both and I am jealous at both of you Thruxton R have not even seen one in the flesh yet, not sure about the water cooling part as spoils styling me thinks, Pottsy welcome into a great forum and await your rider and pillion review of your new purchase.

9. Pottsy

Pottsy Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2016
    Plymouth, UK
    Thanks Dougie I think that is sound advice all I have to do is not let my heart rule my head when I take the pair out for a test ride. I asked about the brakes and an upgrade to Brembo is a no no on the T 120. Although you can do the ohlins on the back. I read somewhere here that someone did not like the pea shooter exhaust, which I feel the same way. My dealership are trying to find out if V and H Thruxton will go on T 120, but they seem vague about swapping excessories from one model to another.

10. Pottsy

Pottsy Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2016
    Plymouth, UK
    Thanks Peter sorry for delayed reply, I stumble my way round a computer. I am better on a bike..... honest. with regard to the water cooling and rad, I did not take that much notice, yes its there but not in your face.

11. PETER CLARKE

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    Are you considering the t120 now.

12. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Gary and welcome in to the Triumph Playground.

Bonnies of all ages are excellent for modifying to suit a particular owners requirements.

Brakes - swap in a CBR forks set complete brakes and your stopping problems are over.

Exhausts - if Triumph don't make the pipes you like, go after-market. One of the guys on here (Tigcraft) swapped his pipes and the new ones sound and look great. There's a whole world of alternatives, just keep the originals nicely wrapped up and in the loft for the future.

13. Pottsy

Pottsy Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2016
    Plymouth, UK
    Yes thats the sensible me. But I want to see if I can get rid of those pea shooter exhaust and see if the Thruxton vance and hines will go on, but can,t get an answer from Triumph as yet.

14. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Welcome in to the mad house Gary, Never a straight answer but we'll get there eventually ;);)

15. Pottsy

Pottsy Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2016
    Plymouth, UK
    Thanks If I end up keeping Jess will look further into CBR forks, she has 2 into 1 arrow.

16. PETER CLARKE

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    Looks like we have diverted you away from a new purchase now:(

17. Sceptic Al

Sceptic Al Well-Known Member

Welcome to the playground Pottsy

18. Pottsy

Pottsy Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2016
    Plymouth, UK
    I have always liked Jess 8 ball spray job King and Queen for her in doors arrow, but I have always had issue with brakes, its a lot for that twin pot to pull two up when you really need to stop. So the new range ticks those boxes. I will put on some pictures at the weekend. Its all down to the test ride.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Pottsy

Pottsy Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2016
    Plymouth, UK
    Thanks Sceptic, already enjoying the Forum.

20. PETER CLARKE

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    Look forward to seeing your pictures