Newbie And A Bobber Black

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Randolf, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Randolf

Randolf New Member

Apr 5, 2018
    Germany, Berlin
    Hey Folks,

hope you all are doing well.
    I am a 33 years old newbie from Berlin, Germany and actually making my motorcycle license. I put my eyes on the new Bobber Black, but unfortunately no one around got one to share their experience with me. So for all the Bobber drivers out there, do you think the bobber black is a good choice for a first bike?

I would be happy to hear your opinion.

Best regards from Berlin

• Like Like x 1
  2. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Hi.

• Like Like x 1
  3. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Hi mate and welcome
    It’s BLACK :cool: nothing else matters :p

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. GaleForceEight

GaleForceEight Noble Member

Nov 1, 2017
    Southend
    #4 GaleForceEight, Apr 5, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    Hi Randolph, and welcome.

Probably the biggest issue with the 2017 'Bobber' that I found when taking it for a ride was the weak front brakes that meant that stopping required more back brake and a slightly stronger fistful of brake than most modern equivalents.

This has been sorted with the 2018 models by introducing the twin disc fronts. It was first go with a bike that holds you into the seat because your feet are more forward than the sit up and sports bikes I used to, but it had docile handling and was easy to manoeuvre at low speeds. The gearbox was slick and easy, and pulling away was merely a matter of relaxing your clutch hand and she'd go even in second (I didn't try third but I am sure that the lazy high torque engine would manage it happily unless you dump the clutch hard).

The seat is low so getting your feet down is easy, but you have to place them wider than you might on a sports bike to avoid catching your boots on the pegs.

As a first bike, is it going to be too much? It pulls like a train. It is a heavy lump for the size of it, the benefit in regards to the handling is that the centre of gravity is low, and it's stable even at low speeds.

The crucial part of it though is whether it is a good first bike. That depends very much on you, and your approach to riding. If you take it easy, take time to learn rather than go all 'Sons of Anarchy', it will reward you but do too much too fast and like any person jumping straight on a big bike it can go horribly wrong very quickly.

Ultimately only you can decide what is right for you, but I would be tempted to go for something lighter with less power, and possibly most importantly of all MORE HEIGHT to allow you to see over most cars. As a new biker the easier it is for you to see and read the road ahead the more time you will have to react to silly things other drivers ahead of you are doing, which makes you safer.

It is probably not what you want to hear, but no matter how careful YOU are, while you are still getting experience your reflexes WILL be slower so in my opinion a taller bike would be better as a first bike.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Randolf

Randolf New Member

Apr 5, 2018
    Germany, Berlin
    @GaleForceEight: Many thanks for your detailed answer.
    I would definitely take it easy at the beginning and take my time. The aspect of the height and thereby the resulting field of view is something I had not on my mind before. Definitely something to take into consideration.

6. GaleForceEight

Nov 1, 2017
    Southend
    You're welcome. If you do decide on the Bobber, it's a good bike that Triumph have improved with the re-modelled front end. Be safe out there!

• Like Like x 1
  7. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hello Randolf and welcome in to the Triumph Asylum - Nursie will be along soon with your medications and crayons :p:p

When starting out with motorbiking there is a VERY STRONG chance that you will drop your bike - it's probably shit to hear this, but it's true. That's why lighter bikes suit newbies more than heavy ones.

It's very understandable that you would like a Triumph, but can I suggest you buy something second-hand initially until you have built up some experience. It would be terrible if you bought a beautiful brand new Bobber Black and then dropped it - it would break your heart !!!

What about trying maybe a Bonneville efi - 2009 to 2015 - not tooooooooo expensive, good seat height for visibilty, great bike to build up your experience ??

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Tucker 1963

Tucker 1963 Elite Member

Sep 7, 2017
    Newmarket
    Welcome to the Asylum you should fit right in.
    Tucker

• Like Like x 1
  9. Tucker 1963

Tucker 1963 Elite Member

Sep 7, 2017
    Newmarket
    _20180204_110015.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  10. Hack Driver

Hack Driver Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2017
    Denton, Maryland USA
    Welcome from another new member. What you're hearing above is the 'voice' of experience (some call it the voices in our heads). All of us probably ignored similar advice when we started riding - I know I did. Lighter and less powerful machines keep most new riders safer, but many people can handle anything as a new rider. Buying a new bike is a big decision for most of us (financially). When we make the wrong choice, it can have a lasting impact and set up a chain of purchases every 2-3 years looking for the perfect bike. You need to be passionate about the bike, but it's like dating (or marriage for some). Once you have the bike for a while, your passions (better looking new model, it's not comfortable, I don't like the riding position after 4 or 5 hours, etc.) may change and you're ready to move on. Beyond the riding advice, look at the unique feature of the Bobber. At your age, do you always want to ride alone, or do you want your current wife, girlfriend, or cute girl on the next corner to be able to share a fantastic ride with you? Some people are 'all about' the next ride and some are 'all about' sharing the next ride with someone - if they are lucky enough to have that someone. Forgetting all of the above, you will have a fantastic year ahead and a million stories to tell. Good luck with your purchase - whatever it is! Send pictures when you make your purchase.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Hello Randolph and welcome to the forum :)

What ever bike you choose I’m sure you’ll enjoy :cool:

Keep us posted what ever you decide to get.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Randolf

Randolf New Member

Apr 5, 2018
    Germany, Berlin
    Guys you are awesome.
    Very helpfull answers for a question you probably heard a thousand times in different versions before.
    A solo seat should be no problem, because my wife has ABSOLUT no interest in riding and my daughter is to young to ride with me. Rather the solo seat is on the plus side because wifey knows I could not take the next cute girl with me ;-)

• Like Like x 3
  13. lexy

lexy Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2017
    Midlothian
    Welcome Randolf.....enjoy the forum and have safe ride-outs...:sun::sun:

• Like Like x 1
  14. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Hi n welcome :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Hi Randolf and welcome to the forum :cool:.
    Some good advice already posted - I test rode the Bobber when it came out and would agree with GaleForceEight. It is an easy bike to ride for someone with experience but I'm not sure it would be my initial choice for a first bike. It is very heavy but has a low centre of gravity and you can get your feet down easily.
    If it's what you want go for it but take things easy! :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Hi and welcome, enjoy your search for a new bike....
    Wessa

17. Beerman

Beerman Guest

Wow - a philosopher! There's some deep stuff here - I'll have a beer and think about it all.

Beerman

PS Welcome, Randolf!

18. GaleForceEight

Nov 1, 2017
    Southend
    Maybe having an extra seat will keep her more interested if there is a chance that a cute girl may want a ride (for a ride). :)

I got interested in bikes when I was five or six years old by riding on the back of a bike around a field. My parents didn't want me to ever have a bike so my uncle gave me one which I kept at a local farm. My son started riding with me when he was nine years old, and I encourage my daughter to at least try. She is 18 years old and has a bike of her own but she still has a lot to learn. I guess I am still rebelling against my parents, but I want my children to try many things so that they can make their own choices later and have experience to make the correct choices for themselves.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Randolf

Randolf New Member

Apr 5, 2018
    Germany, Berlin
    Went to my local dealer yesterday. The urge is strong. A lot of beatiful bikes.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Alisdair

Alisdair Member

Apr 29, 2017
    Richmond, London, UK
    Hi Randolf,

I don't see how anyone in the world could go too wrong with any of the black Triumph Bonnevilles (T, Bobber, Street, Thruxton, Speedmaster...) no matter what age or experience, they're too awesome! Once you're on one you'll never want to get off the saddle, you'll build plenty of experience in no time, I wouldn't worry about it being a first bike, they're comfy and well balanced, not too clunky heavy or sporty. If it's a low seat position, forward controls etc, you'll get used to the way it rides really quickly. Just take it easy on the throttle to start with. I dropped my first brand new Bonneville on a mountain road in a storm after deciding to take off around Europe, it was heartbreaking and soul destroying. These things will happen, just got to get over it.

Out the range I wouldn't choose the Bobber because... I like a bike that can be customised, the Black Bobber is a supercool stylish bike, but it's a perfect *factory* custom, designed for someone who wants to roll fresh out the garage looking badass #1, which for me makes it feel like a bit of a short-term investment. With the other Bonnevilles, you can custom - chop, bob, cafe racer, also load up the luggage and take off on a tour around the world when ever you feel like it, or put someone on the back. The Bobber is the least versatile of the bunch and it's a lot of money for that. Depends what you really want from biking. Big decision, good luck!

• Like Like x 2
  21. Mark O'Brien

Mark O'Brien New Member

Jul 6, 2017
    Halifax
    It's not the bike that's inexperienced, it's you. ..

• Like Like x 1