New Triumph Rider From Pittsburgh, Pa

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Jammin Jones, Jul 10, 2023.

1. Jammin Jones

Jammin Jones New Member

Jul 10, 2023
    Pittsburgh Pa
    Hello Yinz, this is Jen from Pittsburgh, Pa. I impulsively purchased a Speedmaster in March because my faithful Kawazaki 900 had a flat two days before a trip to Florida. The choice was to change it, rent or buy... I when I sat on this bike I learned what the Right Bike for me felt like. Wow, it's light which is important for me at my graceful and senior age.... it has power which is great to ride with my husband when he insists on highways and it just feels right! I have 3600 miles on it now. Just this week I noticed oil on the mat after it sat still for a couple of days. If I rode it day after day there was no oil, just when it sat for several days. Tomorrow I'm taking it in to be looked at since I'm under warranty but I wondered if this is normal and if so, why?
    Another question is about when I inadvertently hit a bump or pothole at speed, it really sends me into the air. Is this a shock adjustment? Or a characteristic of the Bonneville?
    Ok, more questions. This is the first bike I've had with a chain... is it necessary to lubricate every 200 miles as the service guy recommended?

I think those are my questions for now.... Thanks for any input. Jen

2. Mrs Visor

Mrs Visor Elite Member

Aug 21, 2021
    UK
    Hi Jen and welcome! I like a good impulse buy story and pleased it is working out so well for you. You might have some luck with your technical questions if you post in the Bonneville section on here https://www.thetriumphforum.com/forums/bonneville.44/

As for the chain; I tend to give mine a quick clean with paraffin and lube it every 300 miles or so unless it's been filthy weather. I'll give it a really thorough clean about every other time I do it and any time the weather has been awful.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Jammin Jones

Jammin Jones New Member

Jul 10, 2023
    Pittsburgh Pa
    Thanks! I need to research what a "really thorough clean" means!

4. Bikerman

Bikerman I used to have 5500 posts.
    Subscriber

Oct 29, 2014
    Lincolnshire
    Greetings from Lincolnshire.

5. Glenn2926

Glenn2926 First Class Member
    Subscriber

Dec 21, 2021
    Yorkshire
  6. Mrs Visor

Mrs Visor Elite Member

Aug 21, 2021
    UK
    #6 Mrs Visor, Jul 11, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2023
    I put the bike on a paddock stand, use one of these chain cleaner tools https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/491831 with paraffin and give it a really good scrub. (If I am washing the bike I wash it after this bit). Then I just use a rag to give it a good dry / clean until it's shiny and then lube.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. Fork Lock

Fork Lock Elite Member

Feb 5, 2021
    South Jersey, The 51st State
    #7 Fork Lock, Jul 11, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2023
    Hi from a fellow Yank in New Jersey. Got a Speedmaster too. You can adjust the ride. There's a pull ring under the seat on the left side of the bike. Give it a tug and the seat will release. Lift the seat off and you'll see the mono shock. There are cogs on the collar of the shock. On the underside of the seat there's a wrench that fits the cogs on the shock to adjust the stiffness of the ride. Tune it to your liking. The seat just snaps back on. I was knocking fillings loose until I stiffened the ride a bit.
    The joys of a chain driven bike. I got one of those roller gizmos you roll the bile onto, which allows you to rotate the rear wheel/chain. I clean and lube the chain about every 500 miles or so. You can buy a little three-sided brush to clean the chain (search "Motorcycle Chain Brush"). Or you can just use a small, stiff nylon brush. I use kerosene to clean the chain. Messy, but it does the job. Then lube with any good chain spray lubricant. Good luck with the Speedy.

• Useful Useful x 2
  8. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Hi and welcome to the forum :cool:
    Paraffin is definitely the best for cleaning the chain.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    Welcome to the fold. As has already been said, paraffin is fine for chain cleaning followed by a good lube. Frequency will largely depend on the weather. A few wet rides will have your chain rusting in no time but in the dry maybe 3-400 miles. I'm a huge fan of auto chain oilers, either commercially available versions or you can make one for a fraction of the price. I use ordinary gear oil in mine.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Markus

Markus Crème de la Crème
    Subscriber

Oct 28, 2020
    AUSTRIA
    Hi there! Welcome to the forum! ;)
    I am cleaning und lubricating my chain under dry conditions every 650 miles. After a rain ride instantly!

• Like Like x 3
  11. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    I pretty much clean and lube mine after around 500 miles in the dry and usually after riding in the rain. If you keep on it, then cleaning becomes fairly quick and easy.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Hi and welcome….

• Like Like x 1
  13. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Howdy Jen :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Jammin Jones

Jammin Jones New Member

Jul 10, 2023
    Pittsburgh Pa
    Thanks. I am still learning how to use this forum....sorry I didn't ack your note. The mechanic said my shock was as soft as it goes and the showed where the cog was. I am confused if I want a soft ride or to stiffen the shock to make it tighter......?

15. Jammin Jones

Jammin Jones New Member

Jul 10, 2023
    Pittsburgh Pa
    Thanks for the feedback. I bought the three prong brush to clean and have been using maxima chain wax chain lube every 200-500 miles. The chain still goes around so I guess that's good! There are so many opinions out there...I just went over 5100 miles and just want to baby it!! I love the ride.