New to biking & new to the forum :)

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by zotti, Apr 19, 2013.

1. zotti

zotti New Member

Apr 19, 2013
    Hi from Stafford folks. Just wanted to pose a question to you all ........ In the next few months I'll be going for my riding lessons / test. Used to ride as a kid (off road) but that seems a long time ago now. Me getting onto the road is long overdue !

Couple of questions anyway ................ First of all, I've been looking at a Speedmaster for my first bike and wondering if this is a good move?. I think it's a great looking bike and through reading reviews on the web it doesn't look too much of a handful to start off on.

Second, if anyone would know of biking schools around Stafford area they would recommend I'd appretiate it

Thanks in advance

• Like Like x 4
  2. Doctordeano

Doctordeano Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Hertfordshire
    Welcome. I am a late biker after a youth of motocross I never had a road bike until 7 years ago. Since then i have had 9 bikes as per my signature. I missed one out a Ducati monster. I started on the Harley so no good asking me what bike to start on! As you have riden when young you will find it very easy to get back into as you will know all the controls. I had about 4 lessons befor win was ready for my test. Good luck and I am sure there is someone on here that will be able to give you suggestions of good starter bikes.

3. P19DJG

P19DJG Banned

Mar 16, 2013
    Hi & welcome to the forum mate

4. jonny

jonny Active Member

Mar 26, 2013
    sunny cheshire
    Ow-do.... good luck with the test :upyeah:

5. workshyfop

workshyfop Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Zotti, I reckon the Speedy would be a good bike to start on, I've got an America, which is pretty much the same thing, & it's real easy, fun, nice handling machine. You should be able to blag a test ride at a Triumph dealers once you've got the all important licence. & of course Speedy/America owners are a fine bunch of people. :wink:

• Like Like x 2
  6. zotti

zotti New Member

Apr 19, 2013
    Hi all, thanks for the welcome and the input. I popped across to the dealers in Wolves yesterday and they seem like a good bunch. Tried the demo America for size and it felt right

• Like Like x 2
  7. ming12

ming12 Member

Feb 25, 2013
    Weston Super Mare
    I have a speedy and its a really easy bike to ride, good looking as well, not to heavy either. They're a good bunch of guys at Triumph Wolves, you also have a dealer up your way, have you tried them.
    Staffordshire Triumph

Ming.....:upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  8. zotti

zotti New Member

Apr 19, 2013
    That looks very nice Ming :smile: I've not been across to staffs yet but aim to in the next week or so

9. P19DJG

P19DJG Banned

Mar 16, 2013
    #9 P19DJG, Apr 21, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
    The Speedmaster/America are both good machines. Its not a "light" bike as such but at the same time its not really heavy either.
    You can still flick them over in the twisties, ive got footboards on mine & regularly scrape them on the ground :smile: . Its a competent machine, happy to pootle around the countryside & also cruise on the motorways. Comfortable cruising speeds will vary depending on if you have a screen or not & how strong your neck muscles are! Lol :wink:
    Ive come from riding sportsbikes to a cruiser so tend to wring its neck or "ride it like i stole it" as my mates say.

If this is the style of bike you want then you really only have two choices..... Triumph :cool: or Harley :eek:.

Sorry! Did i say two choices???? TRIUMPH :cool:

10. zotti

zotti New Member

Apr 19, 2013
    :), yeh, one choice ha ha !! It's the style of bike I tend to like and suits the type of riding I've got in mind. Can't wait to get on one and give it a blast !

• Like Like x 2
  11. JimDiesel

JimDiesel Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Nottingham
    Hi Zotti, welcome to the forum, good look with the test, you could always consider a street triple.... Them fine America and speedy peeps will hate me for that lol
    Good luck with which ever you choose :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  12. P19DJG

P19DJG Banned

Mar 16, 2013
    ^^^^^ Well said Jim.... You are a legend! PMSL :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
  13. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    Brilliant!

• Like Like x 1
  14. P19DJG

P19DJG Banned

Mar 16, 2013
    I have messaged Jim to warn him that i have been a naughty boy..... I was bored & really its obviously a flaw of the forum that its possible to commit such a mindless misdemeanor :biggrin: PMSL

• Like Like x 1
  15. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    Tell me how to do it! :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  16. P19DJG

P19DJG Banned

Mar 16, 2013
    I really dont know what you are talking about mate? :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  17. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    It's between a man and his conscience! (The hamster kept eating the pineapple). tongue0015.gif

tongue0015.gif

18. zotti

zotti New Member

Apr 19, 2013
    Oh no, what have I started :eek:

19. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    :smile:

• Like Like x 2
  20. P19DJG